Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2002 8:15:16 PM EDT
Looking for a nice affordable fast target sight for my Olympic Arms PCR-9 AR-15 for shots within 25 yards mainly.

Can get a great deal on an OKO red dot sight with carry forward handle for about $220 shipped.

The co-witnessing would be nice to.

I also run across some used ACOGs for about $400 but don't want to mount it on my A2 carry handle.

The Bushnell Holosights made by EOTech are running about $240 without the carry foward handle mount or the A2 mount.  Like the holographic effect.

I like the large triangle for the Trijicon Reflex sight though.

What do you think and recommend?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, Dunc!  I didn't know you were lurking around here.

I have no optics as of yet, but here's some observations I've made:

I've written off the Reflex due to the blueish tint.  Why alter your sight picture to that extent?

ACOGs are awesome--many different varieties from which to choose, but if you're looking at something "for shots within 25 yards mainly" there are cheaper alternatives.

OKO isn't bad, thought the main drawback seems to be the "fragile" setup of the exposed element, if I remember correctly.

Based on your choices, I was pretty impressed with the EOtech--big reticle for super-fast aquisition.  And I would look at the version that takes both lithium and AAs.  

Check 'em out here: www.eotech-inc.com/
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
How about an Ashley express big-dot front sight.  Inside 25 yards optics will slow you down & a battery failure may get you killed!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about an Ashley express big-dot front sight. Inside 25 yards optics will slow you down & a battery failure may get you killed!

That is completely dependant upon optics selection. The Reflex for example, will actually increase your speed, and does not depend on batteries. There are other examples as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
RayDBonz:

That depends on what the rifle's being used for... a battery failure on a range queen or 3-Gun match rifle will hardly get you killed. On a defensive gun, it's another matter. But that's why we co-witness our iron and dot sights, right? :-)  

I *do* second your recommendation for night sights on ANY type of defensive firearm, though I don't care for Ashleys specifically. And a quality white light is a good thing, too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
i looked at all you mentioned and bought the holosight. for me it was faster on target. They are all tough well made sights. the eotech/bushnell was just faster for my eyes.

mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for OKO.  I have one on my Glock  32 match gun and my Cav-15.  Tough, bright enough for just about any time of day.  Plus it's waterproof.  Cav Arms has a picture of an OKO sitting in an aquarium with the dot burning brightly.  For the money, it's hard to beat.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top