Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2012 4:50:43 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy my first AR-15.  My head is about to explode with all of the properties and/or features that the various brands offer.  The reason I say best value rather than set a price range is because a nicely equipped $800 AR is far more valuable than a $599 steal.  Please keep in mind that in addition to initial purchase price, I'm also concerned about Total Cost of Ownership and easiness of cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I could give you better advice if I knew what you are planning to do with it. Targets, self defense, play toy?

for ease of cleaning get a chrome lined barrel, other then that it all depends?

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Targets and self-defense.  Also, I'm a bit confused by 1/7 & 1/9 barrels.  I was planning on just shooting standard 55 grain rounds.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
An AR15 is an AR15.. They are all the same thing inside and have different "clothes", so to speak. Rails, optics, sights, etc.

"Cost of ownership" will always be the same thing... your costs will be ammo and cleaning supplies/lube.

Every direct impingement (non piston) AR15 is going to be the exact same way to clean as well.

Get a 1/7 barrel. Most mfg.'s that are offering 1/9 barrels as their standard are not worth your time.

If you want a rifle that will hold its "value", (though you should never sell a gun ), a Daniel Defense would be a great choice. A DDM4 or any of its different versions will come equipped with good sights and a great rail system.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Best bang for the buck is the PSA. The Colt fan bois will tellyou the 6920, but that will run you $300 to $400 motor than the PSA. Wind ham Weponry makes a niceentry level AR. If you can watch a video and follow directions and have a little mechanical aptitude you can buy a kit and receiver and assemble your own for about $600.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Smith & Wesson Model M&P15 Sport™ $739.00 *    S&W claims their 5 Groove rifling to be superior
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Right here––->

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-16-mid-premium-patrol-rifle-package.html

Add magpul stock and handguard and your GTG........
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Brake Cleaner and Mobil 1 for lube will cost the same for every AR.  For blasting barrels, this is the way to clean.  I would not do it if you are into precision.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
An AR15 is an AR15.. They are all the same thing inside and have different "clothes", so to speak. Rails, optics, sights, etc.

"Cost of ownership" will always be the same thing... your costs will be ammo and cleaning supplies/lube.

Every direct impingement (non piston) AR15 is going to be the exact same way to clean as well.

Get a 1/7 barrel. Most mfg.'s that are offering 1/9 barrels as their standard are not worth your time.

If you want a rifle that will hold its "value", (though you should never sell a gun ), a Daniel Defense would be a great choice. A DDM4 or any of its different versions will come equipped with good sights and a great rail system.

I purchased  a DDM4V4 yesterday and am very pleased with it.  For the money I felt it was the best value.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Targets and self-defense. I really like my Colts but Palmetto also makes  fine firearms. Smith and Wesson is another fine maker of firearms. Here's a nice one PSA 16" Premium

Also, I'm a bit confused by 1/7 & 1/9 barrel refers to twist rate of barrel I was planning on just shooting standard 55 grain rounds.

I see I am late to the party someone else also recommended the PSA Patrol Rifle
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If you look at the specs, it's hard to beat PSA when you look at what you get for the cost.

If it were me, I'd stretch it a little and look at BCM, Colt, and DD.

If you are even half serious about this little AR habit, you will quickly learn that a few hundred dollars is nothing in the large scope of things.  By the time you get around to purchasing ammo, sling, light, optics, rail, back-up AR's, etc., the extra hundred or two won't be a blip on the radar.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Targets and self-defense.  Also, I'm a bit confused by 1/7 & 1/9 barrels.  I was planning on just shooting standard 55 grain rounds.

Target shooting at what range? What size targets? Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean, but the trade off is usually a reduced accuracy potential. You typically give up .5-1.0 moa of accuracy potential, which is nothing if you want to shoot sillouettes at home defense distances.

Either 1/7 or 1/9 barrels will stabilize 55 grain bullets. 1/7 should do better with longer bullets such as 69 otm and longer, while 1/9 should do better with shorter bullets like 45 gr and lighter. Air density and muzzle velocity are considerations because rpms relate to gyroscopic stability and air density and velocity interact with the bullet shape to create the pressures trying to overcome the gyroscopic stability and upset the bullet.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Find whatever flavor suits you.  Chrome lined bore and chamber will help make cleaning easier.  A stainless barrel will not be lined but can be slightly more accurate.  If you need to really split hairs it's said the non chrome lined barrels can tend to be more accurate than a chrome lined barrel.  That being said, this is not an AK so accuracy even with chrome lined will likely be as good or better than you are.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
This would be more in the price range you mention

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory/psa-16-m4-strikefire-premium-carbine.html

I own a Colt 6920 FYI, and the my PSA's are at least the equal to it

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the others.  PSA is very tough to beat right now.  Pick one of the carbines linked to above and you'll be in good shape.  I prefer the mid-length gas system and the Aimpoint for just $100 more...
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson Model M&P15 Sport™ $739.00 *    S&W claims their 5 Groove rifling to be superior

+100 for S&W M&P15 Sport model. I picked one up 2 months ago and am absolutely happy with my purchase. Got it for $700 locally and have put about 400 steel case rounds through it without a single hiccup.
You wont find another AR for that price with it's features.

EDIT: However, if you have 1k to spend on the gun, that PSA W/ Aimpoint is a hell of a deal
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Right here––->

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-16-mid-premium-patrol-rifle-package.html

This, but don't bother with the stock or handguard. This gun is a great place to start. You might want rails or a different stock later, but put some miles on it first.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right here––->

This, but don't bother with the stock or handguard. This gun is a great place to start. You might want rails or a different stock later, but put some miles on it first.

What he said, I waited for PSA to do a Magpul sale over the summer and got this for $99.00

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/upgrade-kits/magpul-moe-tactical-upgrade-kit.html

I'm waiting for another sale on them, if they do same price I'll get 2 and use them for a build I have planned plus 1 AR here now
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100 for S&W M&P15 Sport model. I picked one up 2 months ago and am absolutely happy with my purchase. Got it for $700 locally and have put about 400 steel case rounds through it without a single hiccup.
You wont find another AR for that price with it's features.

EDIT: However, if you have 1k to spend on the gun, that PSA W/ Aimpoint is a hell of a deal

Quantico has the full feature M&P15 on sale for $750 right now. No one comes close to it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 4:27:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback and for shortening the amount of research I have to do.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Would you consider building one yourself?  At the very least, assemble the lower of your choice yourself and picking up a nice mid-length upper from BCM.  My first AR, which I still have, is a Spikes lower I assembled on my computer desk whithout any special tools with a BCM mid-length upper which I bought assembled.  For me it was the fastest and best way to really learn the mechanics of my AR.

The build it yourself section has all the info you need...thats what I did.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll take a look at building my own, but I have minimal mechanical skills.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll take a look at building my own, but I have minimal mechanical skills.

Not much in regards to mechanical skills required for the lower...dexterity maybe due to the little springs and detents....but it's a good experience.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top