Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:08:56 AM EDT
Im thinking of adding some SOFT POINTS to my SHTF as you say ammo stash! just a couple mags worth!

I never used soft points before  except winchesters in 222rem Bolt action!

Yes I do have lots of M193/M855/75/75gr

I keep leaning towards WIN 64

I wanted to get the Black Hills  Partition Loading but no one has gave any good info on it?

except it shot the worst out of his AR?

Anyone tried CORBON DPX in 223?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that someone had a listing that included the 64 gr PP as a good bullet for self defense but it wasn;t at the top of the list.  It is supposed to be THE bullet for hunting deer/pigs/game.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
winchester 64 grain power point would be a good choice. my Colt shoots about half inch with this load. the Trophy bonded bear claw is also a good choice and the best choice for use on glass.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
trophy bonded bear claw
Federal loads it
62 is best, 55 is very good
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure why this isn't tacked anymore:

FAQ: The "Best" 5.56 Loads, Ranked (Cliff Notes Version)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington 55 gr psp is a very good rnd. It doesn't crater even out of a 20" tube, is fully expanded at 2" and is only 2" short of the prefered 12" depth of total penatration. I don't worry to much about the total depth since it's only the tip of xm193 that makes it that far anyway. The majority of damage is done much sooner in the wound channel.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
trophy bonded bear claw
Federal loads it

62 grain is LE dept purchase only in the Tactical line of ammo but the 55 is in the Tactical and Premium Hunting line.  That means we can only get the 55 grain version.  It is THE barrier round but not as good as the 64 for soft targets and the 64 is not as good as the match bullets for soft targets.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Remington 55 gr psp is a very good rnd. It doesn't crater even out of a 20" tube, is fully expanded at 2" and is only 2" short of the prefered 12" depth of total penatration. I don't worry to much about the total depth since it's only the tip of xm193 that makes it that far anyway. The majority of damage is done much sooner in the wound channel.  

The point of the 12" penetration is because when you need 12" of penetration you need 12" and nothing less will do.  This keeps crazed Mini 14 weilding bank robbers from gunning down federal agents who would not have been able to do this if a bullet frgment had made the last 2" or so.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
trophy bonded bear claw
Federal loads it

62 grain is LE dept purchase only in the Tactical line of ammo but the 55 is in the Tactical and Premium Hunting line.  That means we can only get the 55 grain version.  It is THE barrier round but not as good as the 64 for soft targets and the 64 is not as good as the match bullets for soft targets.

Yep, you're right.  I was responding to the original poster who wanted this ammo for SHTF purposes.

For hunting, 64 powerpoints are great.  For SHTF, for anything you'd really need a softpoint for that a OTM won't suffice in doing, I'll take TBBC.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top