Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2008 12:54:51 PM EDT
         I'm considering getting a nightforce NXS 1-4x w/ zerostop but I want to get the reticle that will be best for CQB and distance shooting. I'm considering the NP1 because supposedly it works great for CQB but it's fine enough for distance shooting. I realize it isnt good for holdover but I plan to utilize the zerostop knobs. I like the mildot but I cant imagine it would be that great for CQB type shooting. Anyone with experience have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered my 1-4x NightForce last week.  After much debate and comparison I actually chose the Mil-Dot.

I've been playing with 1-4x optics for a while now and my reality is that most of the reticles in scopes of this magnification are just too damn small to be instinctively fast in a CQB environment.  

The worst scenarios I've found are trying to see these small reticles in dark, shadow-laden hallways, or when used to scan along tree lines.  The small rings and/or thin lines simply disappear in the dark contrasting images.  The worst offenders in my opinion are the Burris XTR 5.56mm reticle and Meopta K-dot.

What I want are large Plex lines that run from the edge to the center FOV.  I want a reticle that screams, "here I am!"  The very best one I've come across thus far is the Circle-Dot on the 1-6x Swarovski, but I think any Heavy Plex reticle is better than some of the smaller, centrally located reticles I've reviewed.

Now I know many of you are laughing because you believe the answer is simply to flip on the illumination. I disagree.  A 1-4x scope is not an Aimpoint, and the 60-80 hour battery life is proof of that.  I simply refuse to rely on short-term, battery-powered reticle illumination to do the job when a properly sized reticle can do the same thing longer.  Your mileage may vary.

I chose the Mil-Dot for my Nightforce simply because it is the largest reticle pattern they offer in the 1-4x models.  The NP-1 would be my second choice, but I don't think the six and twelve o'clock lines are long and heavy enough.

Meopta K-Dot (gimmie a break!)

Burris 5.56mm  (don't be fooled, it is much, much smaller in real life)

Swarovski Circle-Dot  (love it!)

Nightforce 1-4x Mil-Dot
 (the best of NF's offerings IMHO)

Nightforce NP-1  (not bad)

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]

I have the Mildot on my 2.5-10 NXS and think it works quite well for close stuff.  It's like putting a big plus sign over center mass.  It actually centers quite well.  The only beef I have is that the reticle is not bright enough during midday for BAC type shooting.

The dots on the reticle are great for holdovers and distance shooting.  I've got a dope sheet fixed for the turrents as well as the mildots dpending on how much time I have and what quality of precision is needed.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
i really need to do some hands on assessment but there aren't any dealers around. Hopefully I can find some to look at when I'm at Knob Creek this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a NF w/ FC-2 reticle. Its actually quite good. I have shot out to 400+ yds with it w/o too much difficulty. I would look at the Close Range Mildot as well. Turning knobs can be a pain in the ass and having reference points for holdovers is nice. Ultimately you are compromising a bit either way as neither does both great. Consider that 1-4 optics are not really designed for long range shooting but is a great compromise.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like the MIL-Dot for the Best Nightforce reticle for CQB and Distance shooting.  The MIL-DOT lines are think and the dot help to make the reticle standout make it fast.  The MIL-DOTs are also great for holdovers for quick distance shoot.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

Im looking to get one. What type of battery do they use ?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top