Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 7:32:27 PM EDT
What is the best/most reliable/well/quality made Lower recievers on the market?  Is it just "you can go wrong with any big name AR company?  Or is there one or more particular company that exceed the others?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They're all pretty much the same.

If you're doing a build, I'm going to recommend Mega lowers.

If you want a complete lower, go Stag/Bushmaster or something.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You can look like a fool and pay extra for a mega, or you can just get a Stag/Spikes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can look like a fool and pay extra for a mega, or you can just get a Stag/Spikes.

They aren't too hard to find, at least not right now.

Mega usually costs $5 more, I'd pay for it in my opinion. I really love their finishes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a dpms lower and it's worked out great, pussy logo though....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Stag Spikes Superior

The new cav arms looks badass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
So any particular brand to stay away from?  I figure the name brand's will all be about the same but are there any bad brands?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So any particular brand to stay away from?  I figure the name brand's will all be about the same but are there any bad brands?

Stay away from billets, that's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BS, I have had both Mega and Spikes and there is no comparison.... Mega wins hands down. Spikes is a nice lower, but not in the same class as a Mega. I have only briefly looked at a Stag when I was doing my first build, and it was nice... Then I looked at Lauer, it was real nice,almost perfect. I went with the Lauer.  My second build, I waited and got a Mega and never regretted it.

Build 1 Lauer

Build 2 Mega

Build 3 & 4 Mega

Build 5  Mega

Build 6 Spikes

Sold extra Spikes lower intended for build 7 and bought Mega. 50% done now.

Traded build 6 for old preban AR for retro project.

Build 3 was a gift for my father, and build 5 was a friends. He went with  Mega after looking at a few then seeing mine.

If you want a lower with a damn near perfect finish in all areas, then pay a little more for the Mega. Don't get me wrong, the other lowers were nice, but in my opinion (and you know what they say about those) Mega is nicer...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Just stay away from Vulcan/Hesse not sure if that company has had any other names. I'm sure that if they have someone will chime in. I built mine on an LAR lower just because it has two little windows cut into the right hand side of the mag well. Which means it'll look BADASS when i get those clear P-mags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They're all pretty much the same.

If you're doing a build, I'm going to recommend Mega lowers.

+1--overall, MEGAs have the best fit, finish for the price (esp when they were $95 back a few yrs ago...)

basically, avoid hesse/vulcan, cast lowers, and carbon lowers; choose base on logo and price
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have lowers by RRA, CMMG and Spikes.  I see no difference in quality of any of them.  The finish is nicer on the Spikes but is good on all of them.  I think for the most part a lower is a lower as long as it is from a reputable manufacturer.  My next lower is going to be a Predator Custom Shop lower from PCS in Knoxville TN, Sabre makes their lowers for them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Mega and Stag's are the nicest I've seen for standard forged lowers.

If your going with a teflon coated upper than go with the Mega. If your going with a anodized only upper than go with the Stag.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Why?

Other than the added weight and cost.

I had figured that if you wanted the best billets were the way to go.

But I would agree the added weight would not be for carry around AR.
But for a bench shooter I would think that it would be the best route to take...or am I wrong?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why?

Other than the added weight and cost.

I had figured that if you wanted the best billets were the way to go.

But I would agree the added weight would not be for carry around AR.
But for a bench shooter I would think that it would be the best route to take...or am I wrong?

Negative

Forged lowers are stronger than billet lowers.

Billet receivers give companies more control of their designs, not worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I  like to use Bushmaster lowers for my builds.  I would avoid Vulcan/Hesse and any non forged lower (cast aluminum and polymer).  Colt lowers with the sear block are quality lowers but the sear block causes problems if you want to add an aftermarket trigger.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top