Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2007 9:21:31 AM EDT
Hey all,

I'm new to AR15, so forgive me if my next couple of questions are newb questions, but here goes.

I recently purchased a DPMS DCM upper with match barrel and I need a lower.  So I figure I'll ask the community at large for their opinions.

1.  Who makes the best lower? Stripped or Complete.

2.  If stripped, who should I look at for the LPK?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AR15.com. I recommend using the SEARCH button, as these questions have been addressed dozens of times. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
yes SEARCH button does wonders hevyI like RRA but have picked up a couple of stags for way cheap lately
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite is Eagle Arms(Armalite), Sabre is nice, RRA (not for uppers), Bushmaster has good lowers.
Most lowers are only finished by the manufacturer stamped on the side, the forgings all come from a limited number of places. So like the other guy said, it all depends on whether you want it to look nice, shoot nice, or both.

stay away from DPMS, they are a descent company that makes a descent rifle, but thats never good enuf for me! there lowers are a few $ cheaper but none of my mags dropped free from mine, not worth saving 20 dollars IMHO!

Ameetec, Superior, Double star, essential....other descent lowers at good prices.
Oh yea Denny at Global Tactical has great looking lowers, but I think many places are out of stock right now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have owned an RRA, a Bushmaster, and a Colt, but none of them are as nice as my Mega Machine Shop forged lower. The fit and finish is incredible. I hope to get another one as soon as Rainier has more in stock...
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Ameetec
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[snip] Mega Machine Shop forged lower. The fit and finish is incredible. I hope to get another one as soon as Rainier has more in stock...

Ditto.

Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why the bad press om DPMS lowers.  I have used them on AA Beowulf uppers with great success. Everything else is sissy baby stuff. If you can stand up to AA you can handle anything out there.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Mega
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why the bad press om DPMS lowers.  I have used them on AA Beowulf uppers with great success. Everything else is sissy baby stuff. If you can stand up to AA you can handle anything out there.

Steve

DPMS is pretty much like any of the other forged lowers with the exception that you might get one with a tight magwell requiring manual removal of magazines that will not drop free on their own.

My RRA practically shoots the mags out but I have to pull them out with my build based around a DPMS lower
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My recommendation is to try a couple of the nice ones and pick your favorite. You can never have too many.

My vote is for Spike's though ;-)
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used GT (Denny's), Superior Arms and MEGA for my builds.  Out of those, the nicest was the MEGA.  Now, I am waiting for two Double Star stripped lowers to come in.  Nothing else was available at the time I ordered them.

Cheers,

RS
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two DPMS lowers. 1 from a complete rifle I bought and the second for my first build. Both look and work great. No problem with the mag sticking. I'll keep ordering DPMS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't found anything wrong with my Stag lower. People here seem to put up a fuss about the logo, function over form is what I say!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My last 6 builds have been a Cavalry Arms, Eagle Arms (Armalite), and four DPMS.  I have an Essential Arms (one of the last of the cast lowers) on the shelf right now.  (Never a tight magwell on a DPMS)

In the past I have built on SGW (Olympic Arms), PWA, and Essential Arms lowers.  All have worked well.

And guys have listed good lowers above, Stag, Mega, Bushmaster, Double Star, and others.

There are no "best lowers".  But there are many very good ones.

I like the DPMS for their good combination of quality (do all parts fit and work correctly? uppers fit well?) appearance (nice even black), and price.

The Cav Arms is a more specialized lower, a one piece lower, grip, stock that is synthetic and over all very light.  

Just go buy a lower and I am sure you will be happy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#16]
i vote for double star, stag, rra, all have been good to me
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I've owned Colt, Olympic Arms, Bushmaster, VM Hytech, Ameetec, Mega, Eagle Arms, RRA, Cav Arms Aluminum, POF billet and DPMS (I'm sure I've missed a couple).  I wouldn't go as far to say it's the best out there but Mega is my favorite.  I like the fit, finish, color and logo graphics.  The markings are engraved and not stamped witch I feel looks better.  Plus, my RDIAS drops right in and works with all my uppers without shims or spacers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I like Mega the best, but Spikes and Double Star for the price is also a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I've built RRA, Stag, Bushmaster, LRB, and Century. They have all been fine. I'd go with what's cheapest in your area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have used CMMG, RRA, and now have 3 superior arms waiting for me to build. The RRAs are far nicer than the Superior Arms, but the Superior Arms aren't bad. I am holding out for the new Magpul Lower for my next build.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top