Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2003 9:31:57 AM EDT
I was wondering what the best low dollar rail system is.  I have looked at the Bushamster and the Fobus M44.  Are there any others?  Are theses systems suitable for mounting optics or do I need a SIR type rail for optics to hold zero?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO the Fobus systems (M44/M33) are not stabil enough for aiming systems.

They are fine for pistol grips & lights.  I could also seem them being used to store the detachable carryhandle (mounted on the side - saw photos of soldiers in Afghanistan doing this).

If you want to mount optics on the rail (and be cheap) then Olympic Arms FIRSH may be more what you have in mind.  Its about the cost of the M44 but it free floats the barrel, and its decent enough to mount optics on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IMHO the Fobus systems (M44/M33) are not stabil enough for aiming systems.

They are fine for pistol grips & lights.  I could also seem them being used to store the detachable carryhandle (mounted on the side - saw photos of soldiers in Afghanistan doing this).

If you want to mount optics on the rail (and be cheap) then Olympic Arms FIRSH may be more what you have in mind.  Its about the cost of the M44 but it free floats the barrel, and its decent enough to mount optics on.
View Quote

Absolutely agree with Forest.  your best bet is the Oly FIRSH.  you will need to remove your muzzle device to install this handguard.  Do you have a post or pre ban upper?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Chen-

Thats the problem.  I have a post-ban gun with a mini y-comp (ouch its loud!!)  permanently attached.  I regret buying this setup and am looking into replacing the barrel with one that has no muzzle device.  Until then my options are unfortunately limited.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
gunslinger,

couple of choices.....

1. buy the rail and have the muzzle device removed by a gun smith such as Kurt Kustom.  he will install the rail system and then weld on a very cool looking A2 look brake of his design so you are legal again. look for Kurt in the industry board.

2. Save your cash and go for a SIR or RAS2.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I want a clean upper rail at the standard flattop height, so I have FIRSHes on all my uppers.  I had a SIR for a while, but didn't like the raised rail height.  (The SIR is more stable and has more "cool" factor, of course.)  The FIRSH is plenty stable for using a Holosight or other optic inside 100 yards.  For $100 or so, I think the FIRSH is a great deal.  Sure, it's more work to install compared to the Fobus system, but it's well worth it to have a free floating rail system that holds zero.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
fizassist do you have a firsh on a midlength upper I was wondering what one looks like I heard there was a gap between the sight tower and the handguard thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
fizassist do you have a firsh on a midlength upper I was wondering what one looks like I heard there was a gap between the sight tower and the handguard thanks
View Quote

I have 1 Long Carbine (LC, 16") tube on my 16" .458 SOCOM upper, 2 Carbine length on my .223 & .300 Whisper uppers, and a Shorty on my 9mm SBR.  I'll try to get some pics of the "family" soon, but my digicam isn't working at the moment.  On the carbine length FIRSHes, the standard handguard cap is centered perfectly inside the forward end of the tube, with some flex room.  It looks very clean with or without the handgard cap.  I haven't seen a midlength one, though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Best least expensive option....OLY FIRSCH. I have a FIRSCH and ARMS SIR-M.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to also give a thumbs up for the FIRSH.FAC has em cheap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top