Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:32:42 AM EDT
What is a good type of cloth to wipe the CLP off my AR with after it's been sitting for a while?  I have tried silicone cloths and patches, but they both seem to leave my AR with what resembles a five o'clock shadow.  What do you guys use to wipe off your AR's that don't leave a lot of lint residue?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
22 cal patch. in time the ar finsh becomes smooth, at least on Colts Bushmaster and fulton Armory lowers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What parts are you wiping?  I never put CLP on anything that could really be wiped down.

In fact, puting CLP on any exterior surfaces will create a dust accumulating surface.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Try a microfiber cloth. They sell them at walmart or any placethat sells car wax stuff. They leave no lint and are fantastic for everything. They are a little pricey though but one or two will go a long way. Keep one for yourself and give your woman one and she will ove it also.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
BLACK 100% cotton cloth.  I bought heavy weight Ts on sale @ Wally World.

Wash in ATSKO Sports Wash and double rinse.  It's the best de-scent for hunting clothes and available at Wally World, also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What parts are you wiping?  I never put CLP on anything that could really be wiped down.

In fact, puting CLP on any exterior surfaces will create a dust accumulating surface.  

I like that. markm lives in a desert, and doesn't understand why anyone in their right mind would use CLP on the outside of a weapon (attracts dust).  Topic starter lives in the Carolinas, and probably wouldn't understand why anybody wouldn't wipe down the outside of a weapon (turns to rust).

My own cleaning practices have changed 180 since moving from New Mexico to Oregon. I used to be a 3 drops of oil are all you need man. Now, everything gets pulled every 90 days and recleaned/wiped down with CLP.

BTW, I use old bed sheets for wiping rags. They've been washed so often that all the lint is gone. BSW
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I like that. markm lives in a desert, and doesn't understand why anyone in their right mind would use CLP on the outside of a weapon (attracts dust).  Topic starter lives in the Carolinas, and probably wouldn't understand why anybody wouldn't wipe down the outside of a weapon (turns to rust).

Oh!  They don't have dust in the Carolinas!  Sorry.  I have never been there.

Since there's no dust issue, what part of the AR will rust?  Sure the barrel could if the outer finish had worn off, but I've only seen that on USMC rifles!  Most civlian owned ARs haven't been dragged under barbed wire thru the dirt.  The Bolt group is the only other major steel component.  And the only places it might have exposed metal would require lubrication anyway.

I've had my ARs completely Rain soaked with no worries about rust.  And when My rifle has become totally Sand and Dust contaminated, I hose it down before I start cleaning it.

I think you've been sniffing your Sweets 7.62, Jethro.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I was just referring to putting a light coat of CLP on the surface of the receivers while I clean the BCG, etc.  Yeah, I really don't have to worry about dust here or anything; I was just looking to find the best way to get the CLP off once it's on.  :)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had any problems with ARs rusting here in Oregon. I have had problems with handguns getting rust crusties. These guns are all cleaned after each time at the range, but the less popular guns weren't getting any cleaning for a year or so.

My wife's Sig P220 has some finish damage from setting in the safe, and I've gotten some rust off both of Kahr pistols (SS slides, but the sights aren't SS) which we carry much more than we shoot.

When the relative humidity is lass than 20%, water evaporates. Here in OR, we might not see low RH for months.

I was just trying to point out that conditions do differ  between areas of the US, and that one solution isn't going to work for everyone, not starting a pissing match with markm. BSW
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I was just referring to putting a light coat of CLP on the surface of the receivers while I clean the BCG, etc.

Dig it.  Do you have a bushmaster?  Some AR receivers have "grittier" finishes than others.  As your gun gets used it'll smooth out from handling.

It's just my preference...  but I wouldn't put the clp on the receiver.  The finish is maintenance free.  I guess I used to do that at one point purely out of habit from having Blued guns.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been using the flitz polishing cloth found here: http://www.flitz.com/index.html, with great results on my AR-15's. Usually other white cotton cloth's leave the white fuzzies all over the finish of a black AR-15, and it fact Bushmaster warns against cleaning with a white cloth in its manuals. I've had such good results I use the Flitz cloth on the outside wipe down of all my guns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have been using the flitz polishing cloth found here: http://www.flitz.com/index.html, with great results on my AR-15's. Usually other white cotton cloth's leave the white fuzzies all over the finish of a black AR-15, and it fact Bushmaster warns against cleaning with a white cloth in its manuals. I've had such good results I use the Flitz cloth on the outside wipe down of all my guns.

Awesome info.  Why does Bushmaster recommend against cleaning with a white cloth (is it only for the fuzzies it leaves behind)?  Thanks for the input on the cloth.  I'll order one of these in a minute.  :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Try a Sentry Solutions "Marine Tuff Cloth"   The cloth is lint free and impregnated with a rust protectant that dries to a matt finish which will protect against rust, but will not hold dust/dirt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Black t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Black t-shirt.

+1  (100% cotton)
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use a round 7/8" stencil paint brush to apply lubes.Something I pisked up when I started using Mil-comm...thier recommended method.
With CLP or whatever I put a few drops on the brush and work it around leaving a very thin coat of lube for protection on all surfaces.With CLP a very very thin film will be present after a week or so...but enough for protection.No lint either.
An extra stencil brush is also a handy item for dust removal on exterior surfaces.Not that I have that problem...here in the south stuff will corrode and mold before dust can settle on it.So a thin film of whatever is highly recommended.Including aluminum.
HTH
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Paper shop towels work good for wiping down guns, in my experience.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top