Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:30:42 PM EDT
Who makes the best armorers wrench? How good is Smith Enterprize armorers wrench? O heard dmos mrench is crap. I plan on ordering from Brownells.com
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Smith Enterprises wrench is the best IMHO.  The finish is tough, as is the wrench, it's  encapsulates the barrel nut, has multiple teeth for peg style nuts, and the square drive hole is located well for torquing purposes.  I haven't found a better wrench.  I prefer a dedicated wrench for telestocks.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the DPMS one.  Here's a pic:
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like the DPMS one.  Here's a pic:
www.dpmsinc.com/products/TL-MW%20B.jpg

+1 I'm very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
A couple notes.  It looks like the DPMS only has two teeth rather than three for free float tubes, is that correct?

I've also heard of breakage with the DPMS.  The Powdercoat finish is playing catchup to the SE, good move.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the Smith Ent. wrench, I used one to install a LaRue rail and worked great!

The SE wrench does have three teeth on the free float side, I don't know how much difference it made compared to two but the extra tooth certainly isn't a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A couple notes.  It looks like the DPMS only has two teeth rather than three for free float tubes, is that correct?

I've also heard of breakage with the DPMS.  The Powdercoat finish is playing catchup to the SE, good move.

I haven't heard of breakage of the DPMS one, but I rarely use mine and never looked into that sort of thing.  As for the teeth for free float tubes, I do believe it only has two.  I'm not 100% where my wrench is at right now, so I can't go check, however.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't heard of breakage of the DPMS one, but I rarely use mine and never looked into that sort of thing.  As for the teeth for free float tubes, I do believe it only has two.  I'm not 100% where my wrench is at right now, so I can't go check, however.

It only has 2.

I just picked one up at a gunshow for $33. It looks exactly like the one above with the gray powdercoat.

I ordered all the needed parts last night, so I hope to have a complete upper by the end of the week. I'll let you know how the wrench works.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have the new DPMS wrench and it is very sturdy. I don't think the ft. pounds needed to tighten a free float tube is going to break off those 2 studs though. I guess it all depends on how much ass you put behind it though
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The armorer's wrench I got from Bushmaster fills the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I just snapped a tooth on my DPMS wrench. Trying to get to the next hole as the first one that would align didn't provide enough tourque on the nut for my PRI tube. I had a good deal of ass behind it and it snapped.  Time to look for the Smith Enterprise model.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top