Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 7:47:55 AM EDT
I've got a C7/A1 type upper on my lightweight carbine. the aperture it came with isn't marked, and I can't tell which side is for long range, and which is for close in.

I'm planning on swapping out the aperture, but there's a lot of choices out there aside from a new A1 or A2 aperture.

which aperture is most recommended around here?

I'm thinking about the XS aperture with the notch and peep in one...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
get what ever you want. i like the A2 myself. the A1 will be what you have now. two small peeps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
no other opinions? I'm surprised. I guess I'll just drop an A2 in there, unless someone else pipes in with their favourite...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no other opinions? I'm surprised. I guess I'll just drop an A2 in there, unless someone else pipes in with their favourite...

I have XS same-plane apertures on a 16" pencil carbine, with an XS skunk-stripe front sight.  It is a great arrangement, even for an old fart who otherwise would struggle to see iron sights.
I cannot imagine that that an open-notch rear could possibly work that close to your eye.  There is a reason that AKs mount their open sights halfway up the barrel!
I prefer the same plane sights as they give you a quicker battlesight when you're using the large aperture; the A2 large ap is meant for center-of-mass hits out to 200, but it makes hitting things smaller than a breadbox somewhat problematic at any distance.  As a result, I used the small ap for virtually everything when I had them on the carbine.  Actually, I still use the small ap for most things, but for acquiring a larger target in a hurry, the big hole is the way to go.  The black & white front sight is bunches easier to pick up against nearly any background, again helping speed and accuracy.
Moon

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top