Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2009 7:27:00 PM EDT
Hey guys,
        I have a company hog hunt coming up and i really want to take my M4. I'm just not sure on what ammo will work best. First thought was the Hornady TAP. But I dunno. Any ideas?

Bob
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If your barrel can stabilize 75 grain rounds, I would suggest Prvi 75gr Hp. I've killed quite a few hogs with this round. Also TAP works too but it's a little expensive for my taste.

I've heard SP work pretty well. But if your going to be just blasting away, I would just suggest using FMJ's, multiple fmj's will get the job done.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Black Hills 75 gr OTM works rather well, if your barrel will stablize it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I dunno if there's a best, but I would put my money on a Hornady 5.56 pressure or SSA 5.56 pressure 75gr round.  That said, I'm sure 64gr Winchester SPs would drop the hog just as dead as the more expensive bullets.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
A user by the name SkyPup kills two or three a week it seems with his Sig 556's using the Hornady 5.56 Tap T2 and handloads he's made to mimic those––-hopefully he'll chime in––-all 75gr BTHP w/c I think from a 1:7 barrel––––he's dropped some massive ones, pretty much all with one shot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a member on the board (can't remember who) that has taken multiple hogs with 69 grain Prvi HP ammo.  Might be worth considering if your gun won't stabilize the heavier 75 or 77 grain stuff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Hornady 5.56mm NATO TAP T2 75 grain, one shot through lungs @ 125 yards:

Privi .223 75 grain, one shot through lungs at 75 yards:

Hornady 5.56mm NATO TAP T2 75 grain, entry hole at 125 yards:

Prvi .223 69 grain, two shots and three hogs at 175 yards:

Prvi 75 grain BTHP over 25.0 grains of BLC-2 in LC 09 case with CCI 400 primers @ 150 yards, two shots = three dead hogs!

Also works quite well on coyotes a@ 150 yards:

and bobcats @ 100 yards:

and more hogs at 175 yards:

Have at it!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot something that expands.  All the suggested bullets are not designed for flesh, even though they will work there are better choices.  The Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded, Winchester PP, etc.  With a OTM or FMJ follow ups are a must unless it is a head/neck shot.

P
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This year I've killed 33 hogs up to 450 pounds with the 5.56mm, all with lung shots, none took a second shot, not even to finish them off, all were DOA in the time it took me to walk up to them. None got away, only two made it less than 50 feet from POI and the rest dropped dead in their tracks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
There are no "bad" suggestions above.   I would use the BH 75 myself, but would take the bonded hunting ammo or TAP or whatever.  The key is to sight it in well.   Sight it in, then shoot a couple 10 groups, to be sure it is right on.  

There is no substitute for marksmanship.

A friend an I learned this one pheasant season, did the research and got the expensive shells and chokes so we were spitting out the perfect patterns.  We thought we were going to limit out in the first hour.  Turned out that we sucked.  We had built up so much confidence in our guns that we somehow weren't putting enough effort into marksmanship.     And you'll notice above the guys who say .223 is no problem are good markmen.

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I still believe this is the appropriate forum, but there is also a Hog Hunting forum in the Outdoors section. I believe I've seen at least 2 threads on Hog ammo.  
This is just meant as an FYI, considering I have not heard of any Wild Hog sightings in Northern Illinois.  Part of me wishes we did, but part of me doesn't.

I love Bacon too much!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
This is where I normally shoot to take out the lungs.

It misses the front ham and heart beneath it, destroys virtually no meat, completely wipes out both lungs and all the exanguinated blood is pooled up in the thoracic cavity above the diaphragm.

Quite often, if I do not get a good shot here, I will not shoot.

Most folks don't see the sunny side of having wild hogs in the community.

1. fun to hunt.

2. can hunt 365 days of the year and 24 hrs of the day.

3. unlimited possession and you don't even have to worry about trying to find a pig after the shot if you don't want to or you can break out the semi-automatic high powered rifle and just go on a massive killing spree...it's all legal.

4. can hunt with "any" weapon, gun, bow, spear, knife, sword, stick, dogs, truck, tractor...anything

5. they taste good....what else can one ask for....year round hunting and they taste good.

Try to do this with any other game animal and you will end up in jail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Skypup

Where are those hogs from, they don't look too far removed from civilization.  I bet they taste GREAT.

P
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
So basically ya'll are saying. A well placed shot with a heavier bullet. Preferably one that expands. Im kinda new so, will my 1:9 stag stabilize the 75gr or should i go a bit lighter?

Thanks guys
Bob
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Skypup

Where are those hogs from, they don't look too far removed from civilization.  I bet they taste GREAT.

P

The black with white stripe are Hampshires.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/swine/hampshire/

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So basically ya'll are saying. A well placed shot with a heavier bullet. Preferably one that expands. Im kinda new so, will my 1:9 stag stabilize the 75gr or should i go a bit lighter?

Thanks guys
Bob

With your 1:9 stag try the 69grain rounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Skypup

P

Some farmer turned out a bunch of Yorkshires and Hampshires into the swamps over a decade ago and they have reproduced like flies, but they are very tasty living on live oak acorns and such.

With a 1:9 twist, I'd go with the 69 grain pills too, my SIG 556 has a 1:7 twist so 75 grains is not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
going from memory of guys who report on their 1/9 and 75 grain, most do good with it.   Whatever you get you need to sight your optic to it, so you will know if the 75's are not cooperating.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
My buddy hunts with Mini-14 and has had great luck with DPX, and Federal 55gr TBBC.  TYhere are also loads available with the 60gr Nosler partition, Federal fusion, and Gold Dot bullets that would work very well.  Inside fragmentation range any of the heavy OTMS should work fine although they do damage a good deal of meat and leave lead fragments in the meat (nothing proper butchering doesnt take care of).  With game like hogs I like to use bullets that penetrate well rather than fragment, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shoot something that expands.  All the suggested bullets are not designed for flesh, even though they will work there are better choices.  The Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded, Winchester PP, etc.  With a OTM or FMJ follow ups are a must unless it is a head/neck shot.

P

You are saying 5.56 TAP is not designed for flesh?  Its specifically designed for flesh.  Heck, its the only 5.56 round I know that was designed for terminal ballistics from the start.  Why would a OTM require follow up shots when a soft point would not?  The soft points produce smaller wounds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Hornady NATO 5.56mm TAP 2 entry wound at 125 yards

Same round and hog showing the exit wound

Instant death was not a problem....
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I need to work for a company that has hog hunts as a perk.  

Jim
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If your barrel can stabilize 75 grain rounds, I would suggest Prvi 75gr Hp. I've killed quite a few hogs with this round. Also TAP works too but it's a little expensive for my taste.
I've heard SP work pretty well. But if your going to be just blasting away, I would just suggest using FMJ's, multiple fmj's will get the job done.

FMJ are illegal in my state if I'm not mistaken, or I would use them.

Yep, Hornady 5.56 TAP T-2, .223 TAP 75gr and Privi all work well.  I also use Barnes 62gr TSX bullets in front of a load of 25.5gr of Varget for some seriously nasty penetration...
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Comp-Tac Victory Gear of Houston,TX and we're hiring. Of course that might be a bit of a commute for you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need to work for a company that has hog hunts as a perk.  

Jim

Comp-Tac Victory Gear of Houston,TX and we're hiring. Might be a bit of a commute for you though.

Sorry for the repeat.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I still believe this is the appropriate forum, but there is also a Hog Hunting forum in the Outdoors section. I believe I've seen at least 2 threads on Hog ammo.  
This is just meant as an FYI, considering I have not heard of any Wild Hog sightings in Northern Illinois.  Part of me wishes we did, but part of me doesn't.

I love Bacon too much!  

They are in Southern Michigan now, and stories seem to hint that they are expanding their territory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Sows can give birth twice a year, and can have 12 per litter.  You now understand why they expand damn near exponentially...
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
DevL

A petaled bullet that retains its weight is scientifically proven to create more consist trauma and hemorrhaging  WITH deeper penetration.  OTM were designed to put holes in paper a long way away and sometimes if the target is close enough and velocities are high enough they will fragment and cause some descent, yet inconsistent, trauma.  I have nothing against OTM's, love my Mk262's, but for serious hunting I reach for the TSX's.  I have shot over a thousand hogs and hands down the TSX, TBBC, NP, kill and incapacitate faster with better blood trails.  SOCOM has switched from the Mk262 to the Optimized which is the 70gr TSX, the operators who have used both note the difference in the two.  

P
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Comp-Tac Victory Gear of Houston,TX and we're hiring. Of course that might be a bit of a commute for you.

What positions?

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been using good ol Remington UMC 55gr FMJs.

Shot this 150lb boar near Alvord, TX on Labor Day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2662/3916722359_88350b9835.jpg
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Sleepy,

Gotta get me up there to the dairy to slay those Jihadist swine!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
DevL

A petaled bullet that retains its weight is scientifically proven to create more consist trauma and hemorrhaging  WITH deeper penetration.  OTM were designed to put holes in paper a long way away and sometimes if the target is close enough and velocities are high enough they will fragment and cause some descent, yet inconsistent, trauma.  I have nothing against OTM's, love my Mk262's, but for serious hunting I reach for the TSX's.  I have shot over a thousand hogs and hands down the TSX, TBBC, NP, kill and incapacitate faster with better blood trails.  SOCOM has switched from the Mk262 to the Optimized which is the 70gr TSX, the operators who have used both note the difference in the two.  

P

I have never seen this inconsistant fragmentaiton with heavy OTMs...specifically the Hornady OTMs.  I have never seen a test where they failed to perform inside their velocity envelope.  A 16" barrel has around a 200 yard veloity envelope with 5.56 75 grain TAP.  Nor I have seen any testing that showed inconsistant wound cavity size.  I have seen the TSX testing which showed consistantly LESS  permanant cavity but I have not see one that showed MORE.  If you could direct me to anything I would appreciate it.  I DO know MK 262 has a long neck till yaw and that is less than ideal but the 75 grain Hornady does not have this issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I just bought a few boxes of .223 Federal LE Tactical TRU 64gr. SP Ammo for hog hunting. Anyone else use this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Great pics. I have had the same result with the Black hills 69gr Sierra Matchking.

Had to put a couple large dogs down also a couple months ago (they were in the process of killing my neighbors horse) and they were both one shot and done.

What are your bullets doing at close range and medium range? I generally get some light fragmentation up close and bullets stay retain about 90-95% at medium to long rage when i have been able to recover.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Here in Fl hogs are considered live stock and therefore property of the land owner. You can shoot with any caliber in any bullet configuration.

We tend to keep them fed (Beer, Corn and hay)then let them free range. They taste better this way : )

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah Rabbits aint got nothing on swine in the reproduction department.
Quoted:
Sows can give birth twice a year, and can have 12 per litter.  You now understand why they expand damn near exponentially...

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top