Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2016 10:30:37 PM EDT
What are ya'll's opinions on what the best 1-4x scope in the $500-$700 price range is?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Low2497:
What are ya'll's opinions on what the best 1-4x scope in the $500-$700 price range is?
View Quote

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-1-5-24mm-illum-riflescope.html

Wait for a 10-12% discount. It will be one of the best scopes for the price. The turrets are exposed but stiff so zero bump is unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ixYAkiaVs

SuperSetCA/SuperSet72 has an awesome video and review of this optic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2016 10:52:34 PM EDT by dlm1984]
I second the Burris XTR-II 1-5.  I have seen several people reporting illumination problems, but mine has been fine so far.  I had been looking at stuff that was $200-$450 range, but when the Cabela's salesman showed me the XTR-II . . . well, I knew I had to have one.

It's not as light as the Leopold offerings, which are pretty well liked, but I didn't care for the 1.25 or 1.5x low range - I really prefer a true 1x low power.  The glass isn't quite as good as some other higher end models I looked at for fun, including the Steiner, Vortex Razor II, and S&B models, but it's notably clearer and brighter than any of the less expensive options that I've seen to date.  Weight wise, it's a little chunky - not too many oz less than the Razor II's - but it's not that bad either. The zoom is a little stiffer than I'd like, and the turrets offer nice positive adjustments, and aren't easily bumped out of position.  I don't bother with a bag or case most of the time - I just toss it in the trunk of the car - and I haven't seen them move from their spots yet.  Illumination is excellent - bright enough for any situation I can fathom - and their warranty is good too.  Reticle is quite usable as well - I went with the mil hashes for a little more flexibility, but the BDC looks pretty nice too.

I bought on eBay - there had been some pretty good prices in the past, especially if you happen to get a 10% off coupon (like I did).
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:08:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 12:09:33 AM EDT by snipert]
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/421244_The_variable__low_power_multipurpose_scope_review_thread.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=688951

Highly recommend the Steiner Military1-4 on sale at Euro Optic for $699.00.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:45:43 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snipert:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/421244_The_variable__low_power_multipurpose_scope_review_thread.html

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Euro Optic shows that this optic is out of stock and discontinued. The reticle is also only for 5.56 which is probably not the best for anyone hoping to use this optic on multiple rifles of varying barrel length/caliber/ammo load.

The military has a use for BDC reticles, but I would argue for most of us a mil or MOA drop reticle is more useful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:32:13 AM EDT
Vortex pst
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 2:58:38 AM EDT by Alaskanforfreedom]
View Quote

I like my Trijicon Accupower at Georgia Optics they don't advertise anything but MSRP but they gave me $650 when i asked. Glass clarity is excellent and the reticle works great. Red or green illumination which is good but will wash out in the brightest conditions you come across.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:56:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 2:56:34 AM EDT by Alaskanforfreedom]
Double
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:08:05 AM EDT
I also agree that the Burris XTR II 1-5x is the best scope in that price range. You can pick them up lightly used for a good price. I got mine with the 5.56 reticle shipped for $575 and my friend got his for $560 shipped. I haven't had problems with the illumination, the brightness is incredible. In bright sunlight in Las Vegas, I only use the 8th brightness setting out of 11. It's fast up close and I've used it to get hits on a torso-sized steel at 843 yards with a 12.5" SBR and 75gr handloads. The glass isn't incredible but it's really good for the price. I don't think it really holds you back very much at distance. There's distortion around the edges and slight chromatic aberration. The main downsides are the weight at 21oz and mediocre FOV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:56:55 AM EDT
Burris xtr
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:50:57 AM EDT

View All Quotes

The Steiners are gone now.... They're still available from a couple of other outfits, but they're listed more in the $800 range.

I guess they couldn't last forever.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:54:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hunt3rj2:

Euro Optic shows that this optic is out of stock and discontinued. The reticle is also only for 5.56 which is probably not the best for anyone hoping to use this optic on multiple rifles of varying barrel length/caliber/ammo load.

The military has a use for BDC reticles, but I would argue for most of us a mil or MOA drop reticle is more useful.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunt3rj2:

While I totally agree that a mil-ladder type reticle is more flexible, all I do if feed my slug/velocity data into a ballistic calculator, compare that the the MOA holdovers on the BDC, and figure out my holdovers.  While it works very well, a mil-ladder as offered on the Burrix XTR II and/or PA optics is easier and more precise.

The 5.56 reticle works very well with a 16" .308 and 150-155gr with a good BC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:18:46 AM EDT
VXR Patrol?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:42:41 PM EDT
If you are up for an Burris XTR.  I see where DVOR has a brand new:  

Burris 1-5-24mm Illum.. Riflescope, Matte, Ballistic 5.56 Gen3 RFP 201000 for $630

If your not familiar with DVOR.  It's Optics Planets discount store that has some strange rules.  They offer a price but only for a short time.  There is no cost to join.  The $630 price is only available for the next DAY AND A HALF FROM NOW.  If you would like an invitation to join, just pm.  Full disclosure, if you use me as a reference, I get a whopping $10 discount off my next order.  I have no business relationship with the company except that I am a repeat customer.  

I'm looking for a serviceable 3 gun optic and also don't want to spend $1500 or $2500 on an optic.  Sure, I would love to run a Swarovski or S&B, just not this week.  I've been looking at a Leupold VX6 with the new 2016 reticle, but it's still a grand at a good price.  

This Burris might just work well for me.  I just wish that I could really see one someplace first.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:50:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Clay34:
If you are up for an Burris XTR.  I see where DVOR has a brand new:  

Burris 1-5-24mm Illum.. Riflescope, Matte, Ballistic 5.56 Gen3 RFP 201000 for $630

If your not familiar with DVOR.  It's Optics Planets discount store that has some strange rules.  They offer a price but only for a short time.  There is no cost to join.  The $630 price is only available for the next DAY AND A HALF FROM NOW.  If you would like an invitation to join, just pm.  Full disclosure, if you use me as a reference, I get a whopping $10 discount off my next order.  I have no business relationship with the company except that I am a repeat customer.  

I'm looking for a serviceable 3 gun optic and also don't want to spend $1500 or $2500 on an optic.  Sure, I would love to run a Swarovski or S&B, just not this week.  I've been looking at a Leupold VX6 with the new 2016 reticle, but it's still a grand at a good price.  

This Burris might just work well for me.  I just wish that I could really see one someplace first.

View Quote

I've been using one in 3-Gun for over a year now.  It's excellent and I highly recommend it.  I've subjected mine to a fair amount of abuse and it's been solid.

Only thing you're missing out on is optical quality.... But for typical 3-gun matches, it'll get you by just fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:09:02 PM EDT
SWFA HD SS 1-4. Have had mine for about 2 years and have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 2:13:26 PM EDT by Ikeman83]
Trijicon Accupoint.

When you consider that this comes with a $160+ mount, this is right at the high end of your range.

https://dsgarms.com/kttr24-ad30
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:45:55 PM EDT
I really haven't fooled around with a bunch of different ones but the Accupower is definitely worth a look.
Great glass and clarity especially on the 1X side of things.
segmented circle reticle is very nice also
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 3:05:21 PM EDT by gman556]
Originally Posted By Ikeman83:
Trijicon Accupoint.

When you consider that this comes with a $160+ mount, this is right at the high end of your range.

View Quote

That has been out of stock for a really long time and the price is now $865.

OP, I have had used and still have the trijicon Acupoints, and Accupower.They are both basically the same housing accept that one is tritium powered and the other is LED battery powered. The glass in these things is phenomenal! There are also a couple of YouTube videos with some drop tests that they passed with flying colors.

The accupower are a bit cheaper than the acupoints. If you check around you can find the Accupower for as low as $660.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:19:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gman556:

OP, I have had used and still have the trijicon Acupoints, and Accupower.They are both basically the same housing accept that one is tritium powered and the other is LED battery powered. The glass in these things is phenomenal! There are also a couple of YouTube videos with some drop tests that they passed with flying colors.

The accupower are a bit cheaper than the acupoints. If you check around you can find the Accupower for as low as $660.
View All Quotes
Trijicon Accupoint.

His price is up to $700 for just the scope. They're offering a scope and a $165 qd cantilevered mount for $865 shipped.

The package is backorderable. I ordered a red one on January 1st, and got it at the beginning of February.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:26:59 PM EDT

His price is up to $700 for just the scope. They're offering a scope and a $165 qd cantilevered mount for $865 shipped.

The package is backorderable. I ordered a red one on January 1st, and got it at the beginning of February.
View All Quotes
Trijicon Accupoint.

OK nice!!

The glass on these things is phenomenal aren't they!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 3:29:25 PM EDT by SuperSet72]
The TR24 is an excellent, all purpose scope with good glass. I think the RS24 has better glass and a better reticle but worse daylight illumination so you'll have to decide what is important to you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 3:31:47 PM EDT by cop1211]
Accupower cegmented circle. Or contact europtic and see if they have any of the Steiner 1-4's left.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:03:05 PM EDT

OK nice!!

View All Quotes
Trijicon Accupoint.

OK nice!!

It's beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:21:54 PM EDT
I have been heavily looking at the AccuPowers. I have not heard much of the Burris until now. I will do a little more research on that one. As of now, the AccuPowers are at the top of my list
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:43:48 PM EDT
I have been heavily looking at the AccuPowers. I have not heard much of the Burris until now. I will do a little more research on that one. As of now, the AccuPowers are at the top of my list
View Quote

Take a look at the Accupower and the Accupoint. The trade off is basically reticle options/price for fo/tritium illumination.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:01:52 PM EDT
I was going to say that Steiner but I guess I'm glad they're gone so I can stop being tempted.
How is the weaver super slam ?  I have that line's 2-10x36 tactical and it is awesome for the $400 I spent. Plain duplex without illumination but the glass is probably top notch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:25:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cspackler33:
I was going to say that Steiner but I guess I'm glad they're gone so I can stop being tempted.
How is the weaver super slam ?  I have that line's 2-10x36 tactical and it is awesome for the $400 I spent. Plain duplex without illumination but the glass is probably top notch.
View Quote

Weaver is good but that particular optic is nothing special due to the reticle. Weaver really needs to start using better reticles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:22:14 AM EDT
Trijicon Accupower.  I love it.    But I also have the Burris XTR II 1-5.    The Accupower gives a little more precise point of aim.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2016 1:35:09 PM EDT by topgunpilot20]
Definitely the Trijicon Accupoint TR24. Lightweight, good glass, fantastic illumination, and tough. It also has target turrets under the dust covers to dial elevation for longer distances. I used one in 3 gun for a long time with targets from contact range to 500 yards.

The DSG Arms link is a fantastic deal. Otherwise, you can find them in the EE for $600-700.

I currently have mine mounted on my Larue PredatAR, and it's a great combo:

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:11:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
Definitely the Trijicon Accupoint TR24. Lightweight, good glass, fantastic illumination, and tough. It also has target turrets under the dust covers to dial elevation for longer distances. I used one in 3 gun for a long time with targets from contact range to 500 yards.

The DSG Arms link is a fantastic deal. Otherwise, you can find them in the EE for $600-700.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ARs/PredatAR_01_web_zpslraeiska.jpg
View Quote

Drool...  Nice!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:12:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Intune69:

Drool...  Nice!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Intune69:

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ARs/PredatAR_01_web_zpslraeiska.jpg

Drool...  Nice!

Thanks. That's probably the most versatile rifle I own. There's nothing it can't do.
Top Top