Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 1:24:49 PM EDT
Well, I've got nearly all the items layed out for my SPR project except for the most important part.  The BARREL.  What are good stainless or chromed 18", midlength tapped barrels out there?  Eventually it will wear an ARMS #58 SIR and PRI gas block / folding front sight post.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Do what I and many others have done:  order a Douglas 1:8 twist from Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering.

It was $280 plus $50 for the fitted bolt a few months ago.  I had mine done in a 'medium' contour to save weight.  It shoots just over 1/2 MOA with me yanking on the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
DN,

Ah not wanting to be rude why the midlength?

The 18" SPR's are setup up for the long/rifle length handguard.

Unless you can find the FFRAS Med/Long it is going to look a little odd.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DN,

Ah not wanting to be rude why the midlength?

The 18" SPR's are setup up for the long/rifle length handguard.

Unless you can find the FFRAS Med/Long it is going to look a little odd.
View Quote

It's my understanding that the ARMS #58 SIR is intended for midlength-ported barrels and meant for SPR-type rifles.  Is this not the case?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do what I and many others have done:  order a Douglas 1:8 twist from Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering.

It was $280 plus $50 for the fitted bolt a few months ago.  I had mine done in a 'medium' contour to save weight.  It shoots just over 1/2 MOA with me yanking on the trigger.
View Quote

That sounds like quite the barrel!  I have a 20" Krieger that's shooting like that...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
DN,

The #58 is for the SPC Midlength... it is a 16"

The #? Rifle length SIR is ARMS proposition for the SPR/Mk12

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the clarification, KB!  I've heard the rifle-length, bi-level SIR was on the way soon.  I have had such excellent success with ARMS products that I'd like to go that route.

In any case I think I'll look at CLE for a fluted Douglas barrel and matched bolt.  Any suggestions as to who could do the final assembly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Wes Grant of MSTN has made some gorgeous and effective SPR's... (as well as any other sort of tactical niche AR/M16/M4 combo known to man)

Plus he seems to be able to get a lot of the kit before its retail debut as well.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I put mine together myself, a tribute to the simplicity of the AR system:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=9365[/img]

Wes at MSTN does carry all the cool stuff, and has built some sweet uppers...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
did this for a friend of mine,
-18" JP Enterprises intermediate weight barrel
-carbonfiber handguard
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12038[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12033[/img]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The barrel is one thing ...the fitting, chambering and smithing is where the art is..
In other words a great barrel chambered by a merely adequate gunsmith will not be as good a shooter as a mediocre barrel gunsmith by a master...
imo
then there is also how long you have to wait.....and if you can...
By the best you can afford and have it chambered by the best you can afford..
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The barrel is one thing ...the fitting, chambering and smithing is where the art is..
In other words a great barrel chambered by a merely adequate gunsmith will not be as good a shooter as a mediocre barrel gunsmith by a master...
imo
View Quote

Excellent advise and I fully agree!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
imo
View Quote

Excellent advise and I fully agree!
View Quote

Agreed as well, that is why you have someone like Frank White turn and chamber the barrel, and select the best fitting bolt.  The assembly process, in the words of someone here, can be done by any "ham-fisted spastic retard".
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Wes, <[i]sniff[/i]>, that's just beautiful, man...

Looks like I know where I'm going to have the upper made up.  I'll be talking to you soon!

BTW, can I get that barrel fluted?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Wes, Kevin, are we loosing much with the 18" as opposed to the 20"? I am going to ASSUME not much after knowing the velocity difference of 20" vs. 16" vs.  14.5". Have zilch knowledge of 18" but want to learn. Using the 75 and 77 grain, will we be giving up much distance in terminal velocity/wounding ballistics? Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"BEST 18" BARREL CHOICE FOR AN SPR?"

WHY NOT THE REAL THING?

FRANK WHITE OF COMPASS LAKE BUILDS TO MIL-SPEC DIMENSIONS DOUGLAS PREMIUM STAINLESS SPR BARRELS IN THE ACTUAL SPR CONTOUR.

THESE BARRELS HAVE FOUR FLAT END MILL CUTS FOR THE NEWEST PRI FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT, RECENTLY RELEASED BY PRECISION REFLEX, AS WELL AS A SINGLE BALL END MILL CUT AT THE 6 O'CLOCK POSITION FOR ALIGNING A STANDARD GAS BLOCK.

[IMG]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=10861[/IMG]

THESE BARRELS ALSO HAVE THE PROPER "STEP" FOR THE OPS INC SUPPRESSOR BARREL COLLAR. LASTLY, FRANK HAND-FITS A BOLT TO EACH FOR MINIMUM HEADSPACE.

AFTER FRANK SANDBLASTS THE BARREL, WE HAVE THEM K-G COATED FLAT BLACK. WE HAVE THEM READY FOR DELIVERY, WITH FITTED BOLT, OF COURSE, FOR $450.

THESE BARRELS WILL SHOOT, TOO..... WELL UNDER MOA WITH FEDERAL PREMIUM MATCH AMMO!

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Isn't ths barrel about $400.00 bucks?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top