Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2016 6:04:21 PM EDT
I've heard the Otis cleaning kit is good thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I use
3 piece brass rod

Copper bore brush

Chamber brush

Cotton bore mop

Old tooth brush

A medium brush from harbor freight

Q- tips

Foreceps, for cotter pin on bolt, keep pin locked in foreceps so you don't lose it.

Old shirt or sock to clean brushes and parts

CLP.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
it's as good as any other cleaning kit out there.

I use the M16 cleaning kit that I had at my last unit before retiring. just had to buy new bronze bore brushes every so often when the old wears out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
An AR cleaning kit is solvent cotton swabs snake bore brush, soft small rags chamber brush and gun lube. Solvent, like hoppes or ballistol.
And perhaps a bore brush. Brass or nylon.
Thats it.
But you can also purchase a deluxe cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An AR cleaning kit is solvent cotton swabs snake bore brush, soft small rags chamber brush and gun lube. Solvent, like hoppes or ballistol.

And perhaps a bore brush. Brass or nylon.

Thats it.

But you can also purchase a deluxe cleaning kit.
View Quote

Fully agree.

Maybe a carbon scrapper....but that's it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You can keep your gun running with just CLP, a rag, chamber brush and boresnake. A dental pick doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can keep your gun running with just CLP, a rag, chamber brush and boresnake. A dental pick doesn't hurt.
View Quote

That's all I use.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dewey rod, jags, Dewey chamber rod, chamber brush and mopsAR bore guide
Patches
Kroil, Shooter's Choice, JB Bore Paste, Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
Nylon brush, bronze brush

View Quote

Dewey rod
Sinclair guide
Parker Hale jag
nylon brush
patches (in a baby food jar full of bore cleaner, thanks for the tip Mr Cleckner)
Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's bore cleaner (depends on the gun)
Sweet's
patches
a few cotton swabs
a rag
Sinclair carrier scraper (every once in a while)
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Otis kits are bullshit.

Just get a segmented cleaning rod, 223 brush, chamber brush, AP brush, and an eyelet

Aka GI cleaning kit
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
So just buy an m16 cleaning kit. I've heard bore snakes work well. I have plenty of cleaning rods but want something compact I can throw in a range bag.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never been a fan of segmented rods, especially steel rods.  I prefer one-piece rods.  I don't like the idea of them banging around inside the rifling, and gunk getting trapped between segments.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If you use a snake you should also have at least a pull through cable with brass brush when you want to scrub the bore. Only rod I use is part of the chamber brush and handle.

Use a 17" brass rod from the hardware store for stuck cases etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It's helpful to add the CAT M4 tool and the Talon lug scraping tool to your cleaning kit, makes things just a little bit easier.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've heard the Otis cleaning kit is good thoughts?
View Quote

The Otis is overkill. All you need is a toothbrush and boresnake (or tod/brush). The AR is no Ferrari. It does not require specialized tools to work on it. Yank the BCG, scrub it, clean it, lube it. Brush the BE (barrel extension), run a snake down the bore... and you're GTG.
Life isn't the Marine core, and you don't need white glove inspections. It doesn't have to be meticulous.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use 3 piece brass rod
Copper bore brush
Chamber brush
Cotton bore mop
Old tooth brush

A medium brush from harbor freight
Q- tips
Foreceps, for cotter pin on bolt, keep pin locked in foreceps so you don't lose it.
Old shirt or sock to clean brushes and parts
CLP.

View Quote

Id say a boresnake is a great addition to this kit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Years ago I got a $20 winchester kit from walmart that had brushes and connectors for about 7 different calibers, including .22.  It has a segmented rod, pick, clp, brass brushes, and patches.  Over the years, I've had to supply more CLP and patches.  That kit alone is enough to keep the rifle in good shape.  I have also added bore snakes in different calibers, a box of q-tips, and a handful of rags.  Its not because I *needed* all this extra stuff, but it makes cleaning a pile of guns after a range trip faster.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Cleaning kit

I have this in my patrol bag. Just need solvent and lube. Works well in a pinch.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This post nails it.

It's a few steps above the minimalist kit consisting of the T shirt your wearing, one of your boot laces knotted up and some SPF-15 sun block.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

What I use in all my ARs and aks. I don't bother with rods anymore.

I use hoppes 9 when I deep clean.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of those buttstock GI cleaning kits, came with the rifle. It stays in the stock in pristine condition . I always clean it with gear I have at home.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top