Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:30:11 PM EDT
Decided to post a few pics and thoughts on my telescoping stock experiences with the Beowulf. Hopefully some folks will find this information useful if they have similar interests in seeking out a stock for their 'wulf.

Several years ago I built up a lower to be used for the Beowulf using an ACE SOCOM telescoping stock based on reviews I read about success with the ACE product in this application. My requirements for the stock were:

- telescoping
 - thick rubber butt pad
 - able to withstand the Beowulf

After my first shooting session of about 30 rounds through the rifle in this configuration I discovered the stock would not collapse. In order to get it to move again I had to disassemble the locking mechanism only to discover there were noticeable gouges in the bottom and top of the buffer tube and in the retention cylinder.

I was disappointed, but given no other suitable option at the time I continued to shoot it that way for 3 or 4 more sessions over the next few years. It would lock up each time and the gouging continued to get worse. I finally resolved to not shoot anymore until I found a reliable replacement. Here is what the ACE looked like after approximately 150 rounds:

Fortunately, I was able to secure a new Magpul UBR shortly after the first production release and I got to the range VERY shortly after it showed up! I am glad to report that after 40 rounds it showed absolutely -ZERO- visible wear and performed flawlessly. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with another Magpul product...as always!  Here are a few pics of the new configuration:

I am using a slip-on limb saver in the interim while waiting for the release of the extended rubber butt pad from Magpul. While I will probably never be 100% confident in any stock to protect me against a telescoping failure and subsequent bite from the venerable Beowulf, this is one product I feel gives me the best chance of avoiding what other owners tell me is inevitable.

Hope others find this useful...and THANK YOU MAGPUL!!!

- Joe
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I just purchased a big boar and didn't get a telescoping stock for this reason.  
I went with an a2 because I knew it was solid.  
I want a telescoping stock for thick hunting clothes but I don't think I will ever trust one.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Rubicon-Joe:

Thanks for the review.  Is the thick butt pad for the Magpul UBR due this year, or a "future" product?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#3]
When I placed my order with Magpul I asked about the extended buttpad option that was listed on their website. I was told it would not be ready "for some time". I'm not sure if that means a couple of months or alot longer than that.

Currently, their website lists the option as:  Extended 0.55” Rubber Butt-Pad

That is a little bit less thickness than I was hoping for. Hopefully their are thicker pads in thier plans as well. If all else fails I may just modify the thick rubber pad off my old ACE to fit.

- Joe
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Rubicon-Joe!  I have the 1" thick one too on my Ace fixed stock and like it for the 458 SOCOM.  Would like to see something similar for the UBR.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top