Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 6/4/2008 4:30:11 PM EDT
Decided to post a few pics and thoughts on my telescoping stock experiences with the Beowulf. Hopefully some folks will find this information useful if they have similar interests in seeking out a stock for their 'wulf.

Several years ago I built up a lower to be used for the Beowulf using an ACE SOCOM telescoping stock based on reviews I read about success with the ACE product in this application. My requirements for the stock were:

- telescoping
 - thick rubber butt pad
 - able to withstand the Beowulf

After my first shooting session of about 30 rounds through the rifle in this configuration I discovered the stock would not collapse. In order to get it to move again I had to disassemble the locking mechanism only to discover there were noticeable gouges in the bottom and top of the buffer tube and in the retention cylinder.

I was disappointed, but given no other suitable option at the time I continued to shoot it that way for 3 or 4 more sessions over the next few years. It would lock up each time and the gouging continued to get worse. I finally resolved to not shoot anymore until I found a reliable replacement. Here is what the ACE looked like after approximately 150 rounds:

Fortunately, I was able to secure a new Magpul UBR shortly after the first production release and I got to the range VERY shortly after it showed up! I am glad to report that after 40 rounds it showed absolutely -ZERO- visible wear and performed flawlessly. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with another Magpul product...as always!  Here are a few pics of the new configuration:

I am using a slip-on limb saver in the interim while waiting for the release of the extended rubber butt pad from Magpul. While I will probably never be 100% confident in any stock to protect me against a telescoping failure and subsequent bite from the venerable Beowulf, this is one product I feel gives me the best chance of avoiding what other owners tell me is inevitable.

Hope others find this useful...and THANK YOU MAGPUL!!!

- Joe
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:30 PM EDT
I just purchased a big boar and didn't get a telescoping stock for this reason.  
I went with an a2 because I knew it was solid.  
I want a telescoping stock for thick hunting clothes but I don't think I will ever trust one.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:48:27 PM EDT
Rubicon-Joe:

Thanks for the review.  Is the thick butt pad for the Magpul UBR due this year, or a "future" product?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:16:38 AM EDT
When I placed my order with Magpul I asked about the extended buttpad option that was listed on their website. I was told it would not be ready "for some time". I'm not sure if that means a couple of months or alot longer than that.

Currently, their website lists the option as:  Extended 0.55” Rubber Butt-Pad

That is a little bit less thickness than I was hoping for. Hopefully their are thicker pads in thier plans as well. If all else fails I may just modify the thick rubber pad off my old ACE to fit.

- Joe
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:01:30 AM EDT
Thanks Rubicon-Joe!  I have the 1" thick one too on my Ace fixed stock and like it for the 458 SOCOM.  Would like to see something similar for the UBR.
Top Top