Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:30:45 PM EDT
Greetings,

I've been looking at big bore AR's since I got my first AR and I'm reading several different "opinions" regarding Beowolf magazine modifications.  
So far I've read from Beowolf owners:

1. Unmodified GI magazines work flawlessly

2. Need to modify feed lips on GI magazine (How much modification?)

3. Need to modify feed lips and follower on GI magazine (Where do you find followers?)

Anybody have any  input on this issue?

As a side note. I was initially looking to a .458 Socom since I know it doesn't need magazine modifications.  However Corbon raised the price drastically of Socom ammo within the last two months and now the Beowolf once again has my interest.  

Thanks for reading,
Little Lamb
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]

1 – Sometimes.

2 – If your mags need this just open the lips enough (not very much) to raise the bullet end of the cartridge to align with the chamber better.

3 – If the follower is plastic you can remove it from the mag and grind the raised portion (looks the a 223 cartridge) down to level with the rest of the follower to make the Beowulf cartridges center better in the mag then install the follower back in the mag.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1 – Sometimes.

2 – If your mags need this just open the lips enough (not very much) to raise the bullet end of the cartridge to align with the chamber better.

3 – If the follower is plastic you can remove it from the mag and grind the raised portion (looks the a 223 cartridge) down to level with the rest of the follower to make the Beowulf cartridges center better in the mag then install the follower back in the mag.

+1

use a micrometer to measure the AA provided mag and open up the feedlips to that spec but try them first to see if they even need tweaking.

i bought a bunch of D&D thermolds which require no tweaking and function flawlessy
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your replies.  This helped immensly.

LittleLamb
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used 10-15 mags with my Wulf and no modification was needed. All USGI Colt 30rd.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
D&H 30 rounders seem to work without any mods.  I filed the underside of the feedlips so they would not scratch my cases so  much, but that is because I am an anal handloader!!  Lars over at www.umlautarms.com just got some of those mags in stock.  Tell him I sent you.  Also check out his Beowulf store at www.50beowulf.com.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top