Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:17:06 PM EDT
I use the USGI kit to clean my rifle.  Through the course of many cleanings the rod and brushes have gotten to the point where they are not laser straight, and the sections of rod have a slight bell shape at the end so they stick out a bit from the rod when assembled.  Will these things dammage my rifle?  Logic says that a aluminum rid (i think the usgi rod is alum?) and brushes wont scratch chrome, but i'd like some info if possible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the GI cleaning rod and stay away  from the sectional aluminum rods. Buy yourself a nice solid one piece cleaning rod. And to keep from bending things ensure your patches are not too tight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI kit is steel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Replace those rods.  Coated steel or brass.  One piece is best for pushing.  Best of all is to pull the rod through the bore, breech to muzzle.  No bending of rods when pulling.  The Otis kits, using the plastic coated steel cable are great for this.
Always wipe off the rod after you pull it out, you don't want to chance having that grit pressed up aginst your bore.
Aluminum rods are bad for a number of reason.  It's soft, but look up lapping.  The use of an abrasive material and a soft metal to abrade a harder one.  It also oxidizes if it's not annodised or somehow protected.  And aluminum oxide is a very hard material.  Used in coarse sharpening.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW anodizing equals aluminium oxide, anodizing is just more uniform corvage of the material.

Anodizing is a means of building an aluminum oxide film on the surface of aluminum. The process consists of making the aluminum part electrically positive, or the anode, in a suitable electrolyte. The most common electrolyte is sulfuric acid. In sulfuric acid bath through hydrolysis, oxygen is released in an accelerated and uniform manner which reacts with the aluminum to form an oxide film.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top