Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2006 10:46:59 AM EDT
I am wondering what, if any, benefit(s) there is(are) to using the heavier carrier in 11.5". 14.5" and 16" barreled semi-auto AR's. Any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance for any info...
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Advantages:  it is a little heavier, and some say that it reduces felt recoil.  

Disadvantages:  it is a little heavier.

Either way, I don't really think it matters.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The weight is insignificant.  The benefit is in the collar around the base of the firing pin.  It's harder to clean, but I still prefer it.

The ramped carrier is the politically correct part.  It's ramped there to catch the notch in your AR hammer to prevent the hammer from following the carrier home and causing full auto fire.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The weight is insignificant.  The benefit is in the collar around the base of the firing pin.  It's harder to clean, but I still prefer it.

The ramped carrier is the politically correct part.  It's ramped there to catch the notch in your AR hammer to prevent the hammer from following the carrier home and causing full auto fire.

So, what is the benefit to the collar? My FCG is stock semi, and I do not have, nor will I have--unless I win the lotto or some one donates one to me--a RDIAS. So, will I see ant benefit from having a FA BCG?
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The collar cocks the hammer in the cycle rather than the firing pin.  The ramped carriers tend to get a little "chewed up" in that area after a while.  And some AR owners firing pin retaining pins get bent up.

Either one works fine, I just prefer the 16 carrier.  I've seen some COLT carriers that are cut away, but still have the collar around the firing pin.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!

Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
the heavier carrier and/or heavy buffers slow the unlocking cycle and make extraction less violent especially in short barreled AR's.  I use both in my carbines and they run 100%.

Billy
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
the weight increase is neglidgeable maybe an ounce added..I just use the semi auto RRA carriers with the collar protecting the firing pin so the pin doesnt have to cock the hammer.And I can use a small collar semi-auto firing pin or large collar M16 pin.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
So. what I'm getting out of this discussion is that the real benefit is a little less wear and tear on the weapon.

Am I on the right track here?
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So. what I'm getting out of this discussion is that the real benefit is a little less wear and tear on the weapon.

Am I on the right track here?

Maybe just slightly.  All things being equal, I'll opt for the 16 carrier.  I have a couple of Colt rifles that have the ramped carrier in them, and I left them as such so they would be box stock.

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
why not just get a ar15 enhanced carrier
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why not just get a ar15 enhanced carrier

"enhanced carrier" - I love arfcom marketing

Steve:

What is your take on using the M16 carrier in a semiauto? Is there any benefit to it, or is it more arfcom marketing?

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your take on using the M16 carrier in a semiauto? Is there any benefit to it, or is it more arfcom marketing?

If I could get one for the same price as an AR15 carrier, I'd get the M16 carrier.  If it cost me a penny more I'd stick with the AR15 carrier.

OK, they are the exact same price, why would I want the M16 carrier group?

Is there any reason to not get the M16 carrier group?
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]
A shrowded firing pin carrier (which means more metal in the carrier) can probably do almost exactly the same thing that using a full-auto-type carrier (which has more metal than a semi-type carrier).  The idea is to add to the reciprocating mass in the weapon, so the cyclic rate is reduced (a little) and the whole system is smoothed out a bit.  And a slower cycling rifle tends to be a bit more reliable, even with old magazine springs and less-than-hot ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A shrowded firing pin carrier (which means more metal in the carrier) can probably do almost exactly the same thing that using a full-auto-type carrier (which has more metal than a semi-type carrier).  The idea is to add to the reciprocating mass in the weapon, so the cyclic rate is reduced (a little) and the whole system is smoothed out a bit.  And a slower cycling rifle tends to be a bit more reliable, even with old magazine springs and less-than-hot ammunition.

So, this would increase dwell time and be most beneficial in shoter barrels, like a 14.5" or 11.5"/10.5"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So, this would increase dwell time and be most beneficial in shoter barrels, like a 14.5" or 11.5"/10.5"?

I think we're entering the realm of fantasy here.  I just don't find the weight issue to be of any measureable significance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we're entering the realm of fantasy here.  I just don't find the weight issue to be of any measureable significance.

Then what do you feel is the benifit? After four posts in this thread, I'm still not sure what your talking about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Then what do you feel is the benifit? After four posts in this thread, I'm still not sure what your talking about.

The weight thing is pure fantasy.  See the first three sentences in my second post in this thread.  It seems pretty clear to me what my opinion on the benefits is.

See the pics in the following thread for a visual reference on what I'm saying!

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=293446
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weight thing is pure fantasy.  See the first three sentences in my second post in this thread.  It seems pretty clear to me what my opinion on the benefits is.

See the pics in the following thread for a visual reference on what I'm saying!

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=293446

Thanks. Now I understand.

Checked mine versus the pics. They are M16 as stated when sold to me.

So could we say that an M16 carrier better protects the fireing pin from harm?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So could we say that an M16 carrier better protects the fireing pin from harm?

No.  I haven't heard of the cut away carrier ever hurting the firing pin.  But guys with out of spec hammers and stuff have bent the crap out of their retaining pins.

I run both kinds of carriers.  If I have a complete rifle that came with the neutered carrier, I leave it.  If I build one of my own, I go with the 16 carrier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, the pics do make it much clearer!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top