Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2009 2:43:04 PM EDT
I just bought a .223 and a .308 lower from these guys. The website is http://www.bmgoregon.com and check out the info on the AR15 lower. Whadda yall think? Have I made a mistake? It really looks like a well-made piece of equipment (Being CNC machined from 6061 T651 Aircraft Grade Aluminum and all). Does anyone have experience with these? I'm not sure because I'm pretty sure they're new.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 2:54:36 PM EDT
Also, I've already decided on an L3 EOTech HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight 553.A65 for my optics. I'm seriously considering the 11.5" GAS PISTON UPPER, HEAT SINK BARREL NUT, W/PREDATOR P-9SX RAIL from POF. I doubt this is the right forum to discuss this, but I'm sure I'll told that soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 3:02:09 PM EDT
i believe most people on this sight prefer a lower made of 7075 grade aluminum..just a thought!
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 3:36:44 PM EDT
Okay, here's an ignorant question. Why?
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 4:36:08 PM EDT
here is a link for technical data, but basically it's stronger.

http://edge.rit.edu/content/P08456/public/Design%20Material/6061%20vs%207075.xls
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 5:36:29 PM EDT
The link wasn't working, but I accept that the 7075 is stronger..... However. Does the tensile strength of the test material remain the same when it's cast/forged VS machined? My way of thinking is that machined anything maintains the same physical propeties as the stock, because it really hasnt undergone the changes that you get when you melt the same stock.

And is the 6061 an acceptable material? I don't plan on beating people to death with the lower, but is it really an issue?
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 5:49:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 6:32:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By badazzar15:
Looks like a Sun Devil to me.

?
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 6:49:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 6:58:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PDshooter965:
The link wasn't working, but I accept that the 7075 is stronger..... However. Does the tensile strength of the test material remain the same when it's cast/forged VS machined? My way of thinking is that machined anything maintains the same physical propeties as the stock, because it really hasnt undergone the changes that you get when you melt the same stock.

And is the 6061 an acceptable material? I don't plan on beating people to death with the lower, but is it really an issue?

Not really. Lowers have been made of much, much weaker polymers without issue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 7:02:49 PM EDT
Now, since I live in Bend, if I SBR'ed a lower, could I just engrave my name?

*in actuality, I don't really care about billet lowers, I WAY rather have more billet UPPER choices.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 9:00:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GhostRing:

*in actuality, I don't really care about billet lowers, I WAY rather have more billet UPPER choices.

Ah ha. So, as most of the stresses in an AR ocurr in the upper, there's no issue in having a lower that saves some weight. A quality upper (like a POF as I've previously drooled over) is the most important part of the gun.

Good good. This answers my question. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:34:36 AM EDT
I would still like to know if anyone has any experience with these. Thx.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 4:55:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2009 4:57:05 AM EDT by Eukatae]
Originally Posted By PDshooter965:
Originally Posted By GhostRing:

Ah ha. So, as most of the stresses in an AR ocurr in the upper, there's no issue in having a lower that saves some weight. A quality upper (like a POF as I've previously drooled over) is the most important part of the gun.

Good good. This answers my question. Thanks!

The lower receiver is about the least critical part of the AR. They do get hammered around a bit, some of those carbon lowers have broken where in the thin bit aft of the pistol grip where the buffer extension screws in. Thus the added reinforcement from the A1 to A2 lower. Although I have a Cav arms carbon lower and I dig it. I would SBR it if I thought I could get it engraved. A 12.5" light barrel and PRI carbon fore stock would make a fantastic light weight rifle.

There seems to be some strange interest in fancy lowers these days; I think it is largely driven by guys that spend a fortune on fancy uppers and want something worthy of that upper. I get it, I have a couple fancy lowers myself, but it isn't necessary; any milspec (or close to milspec) lower will do. The POF lower is nice but the finish, at least the old finish is a bit fragile.

Some of the new lowers do have some nice features though. Beveled mag wells are really nice, ambidextrous mag latches, captured detent springs, texture added to the front of the magwell for those magwell grip guys, interesting novelty markings, improved trigger guards, and that is about it.

More important is the trigger group and the lower parts kit, specificly the bolt latch as the paddle tends to snap off from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2009 7:00:52 PM EDT by nicholsmf]
Is this one bedazzled?
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 1:27:08 AM EDT
Thats "Bling" yo!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:16:43 PM EDT
So I finally got it. Looks good, and my lower parts kit is enroute from Brownells. Now, if I could just light a fire under POF's ass, I'd be in business!!!

Pictures to follow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:46:50 PM EDT
I fail to understand why anyone who makes a billet lower mills out for the milspec trigger guard instead of just leaving in a far superior integral trigger guard. That and the general lack of innovation of just cloning a standard forged lower in billet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:14:42 AM EDT
I wanna see what the 762 looks like
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:27:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I fail to understand why anyone who makes a billet lower mills out for the milspec trigger guard instead of just leaving in a far superior integral trigger guard. That and the general lack of innovation of just cloning a standard forged lower in billet.

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:30:08 PM EDT
I was born in Bend, and I wanted to want that lower, but hot having an integral trigger guard makes it just another lower.
Top Top