Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 5:42:05 PM EDT
It is my understanding that no manufacturer ever made a bayonet that was sized properly for a 16" carbine barrel.  Despite the fact that many pre-ban carbine models include a bayonet lug, I've gathered that they are present due to parts stocking - no need for different front sights on both 20" and 16" barrels.

I've seen pictures of folks with bayonets intended for 20" barrels mounted on 16" carbines with the bayonet ring resting on the barrel when it should be supported by the flash suppressor.

Can anyone confirm if there is such a thing as a bayonet natively intended for mounting on a 16" carbine?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There is one.  Try the search function.  Somebody posted a picture of a long-handled bayonet for the 16" w/standard gas-block/lug.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Some folks either install a bayo-lug "extender" that clamps another lug further out on the barrel, while others install a flash hider that mimics the 11.5"/5.5" combo made specifically to mount a bayonet to a 16" barrel.

I couldn't find a pic of the clamp-on lug, but here's a pic of the flash hider (available from [url]dpmsinc.com[/url]):

[img]www.shooterstore.com/dpmsinc/images/Bl-20a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen bolt-on bayo lugs on preban 16" rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The stock bayonet only works on the 14.5" barrels (m-4) and the 20" barrels.

Since the 16" barrel is a BATF requirement for the private sector, the FS was not redesigned to work.  If you do need to install as Bayonet on a pre-ban, then look for a reverse 5 1/2" FS that can be turned down to the needed diameter.  
This will allow the barrel/FS to have the required diameter at the correct barrel placement, and still allow you to have the legal 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
And you need a bayonet on your 16" carbine for what reason?? It looks cool?? You intend to do CQB and want a bayonet to slow you down and get hung up on things?? You want to stick someone during the CQB and have to pull it back out of them??
Sheesh. We were trained with them for only two reasons: 1. last ditch defense (DIs said we would be stupid to use up all our ammo). 2. Riot control. Nothing like a couple of hundred bayonets glistening in the sun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link to a place that has a Colt marked bayonet made to fit on a 16" barrel for $65. bucks.

http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a07

Art
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a07[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And you need a bayonet on your 16" carbine for what reason?? It looks cool??
View Quote

Allow me to preface this response by stating that my desire for a bayonet is purely aesthetic and not functional - much like the law defining the AW ban.

That being said, I feel that a pre-ban rifle looks "naked" without a bayonet lug (although there are several models without).  Based on the fact that I'll have a bayonet lug on my new rifle, of course I have to have a bayonet to go along with it for occasional display purposes!

Just looks, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is a link to a place that has a Colt marked bayonet made to fit on a 16" barrel for $65. bucks.

http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a07

Art
View Quote

I spoke to Charles (knowledgeable and pleased to answer my questions) at Cuzco, and he explained that in fact, no one has ever made a bayonet that was sized properly for anything other than a 20" barrel.  When asked about the bayonets he has for sale fitted for a 16" carbine, he explained that he owns the patent for the machined female adapter that accepts the stock lug and allows for a bayonet to be properly mounted on a 16" barrel with the ring resting on the flash suppressor.  He uses a new Colt marked bayonet made by Eickhorn of Germany and has the needed parts machined in Germany as well.  He said that he has sold more than 500 of these units and would advertise wider save for the inability to get the needed parts made faster.

Compare the two:

Stock:

[img]http://prebanarms.com/upload/a30.jpg[/img]

Modified:

[img]http://prebanarms.com/upload/a07.jpg[/img]

He's an example of an improper fit:

[img]http://www.advertisehorse.com/Knife6.JPG[/img]

The modification is an excellent idea and looks clean.  I know where I'll be purchasing my bayonet...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top