Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 10:12:46 PM EDT
OK, so I called DPMS today about getting my carbine retrofitted. Bah. Might be better off just getting a new upper.

Anyway, the guy I'm talking to (dont remember his name) says that putting a new front sight post with bayonet lug on would be pointless, since the bayonet wont fit a carbine.

WTF?

Then why are there bayonet lugs on LE carbine barrels? Why do military M4's have the lugs?

Looks to me like the same amount of exposed barrel between the flash suppressor and the lug, 6 inches, for both rifle and carbine.

Yes, I know its probably a stupid question, but pretty much all my experience with AR's has been 20" barrel versions.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bayos fit:

20"
14.5"
16" midlength

They do NOT fit 16" carbines without (a) a special carbine bayo, or (b) a 'clamp on' 2nd bayo lug...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody know where I can get one of them "Special bayonets"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe prebanarms.com, or something to that effect sells M7's with en extension to fit civvy 16" barrels.

Or, you can cut down your barrel to 14.5, and add a phantom flash hider (permanently attached for legal reasons), and then you can use any M7/M9/M10 type bayonets.

OR....I CMMG has  bayonet lugs that you can attach just forward of the front sight post....looks sort of funny, but works as advertised...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I believe prebanarms.com, or something to that effect sells M7's with en extension to fit civvy 16" barrels.

Or, you can cut down your barrel to 14.5, and add a phantom flash hider (permanently attached for legal reasons), and then you can use any M7/M9/M10 type bayonets.

OR....I CMMG has  bayonet lugs that you can attach just forward of the front sight post....looks sort of funny, but works as advertised...

The ability to use different muzzle devices IMHO outweighs the ability to mount a bayo without 'special' accomidations...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What in the flying fuck? They've got a Colt M4 collapsible stock for $245.00!!!!! And that's with $80 worth of savings! Do people actually by this crap?

Here's the bayonet by the way. I'm not sure if it's the correct type you would like.

prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to mention, guy on the phone said it was originally a 14.5" barrel, with the brake welded on to get correct length, and if I want a suppressor, they'd have to cut and re-thread, then there is the matter of getting a long enough suppressor to get it back to 16".

I hate the .gov's stupid rules on how long a rifle barrel can be.

I hate the fact that DPMS welded the damn brake on instead of silver soldering it.

I really hate the fact that I'm gonna have to just shell out the cash for a new upper, because its gonna be a hell of a lot easier than putting up with all this crap.

Anyone interested in a neutered DPMS upper?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Then why are there bayonet lugs on LE carbine barrels? Why do military M4's have the lugs?

Because we can!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forgot to mention, guy on the phone said it was originally a 14.5" barrel, with the brake welded on to get correct length, and if I want a suppressor, they'd have to cut and re-thread, then there is the matter of getting a long enough suppressor to get it back to 16".

I hate the .gov's stupid rules on how long a rifle barrel can be.

I hate the fact that DPMS welded the damn brake on instead of silver soldering it.

I really hate the fact that I'm gonna have to just shell out the cash for a new upper, because its gonna be a hell of a lot easier than putting up with all this crap.

Anyone interested in a neutered DPMS upper?hr

Bull shit welded how? unweld it I unweld shit all the time mostly I try to only weld stuff but ya know sometimes you neeed to unweld they just want you to buy a new upper and you should then a lower then another upper and so on untill you have at least a dozen pairs
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Then why are there bayonet lugs on LE carbine barrels?

For the same reason they have the grendade launcher cut in their barrels.... So they look cool while they oppress you
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Why have a bayonet lug then?  Now that is a good question.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I am quite amused me to see threads that were beat to death almost 10-years ago here on the forums being issues again.  Funny how we have gone full-circle!  

There are options for the guys with 16-inch barrels...  

There are slip-over FHs that will move the FH to the rear.  Most of these are too large in diameter to fit a bayonet mounting ring but I know I had one in the past that did work!

There are people that have made longer handled bayonets in both the M7 and M9 type that will work.  Note the M9 is easier to do this with and there used to be someone that sold a retrofit kit but I have not seen one in years!

Lastly, there are baynet lugs that mount to the barrel that allow you to mount the bayonet forward of the gas block!

Now, in answer to your question, I sure wouldn't bother adding a bayonet lug to a weapon that can't use a baynet anyways.  There are other items that will mount to the lug but in todays world of railed forends there really is no reason to mount things to the lug...  If there was no fifference in cost however, I would still want the bayonet lug for no other reason then it just looks like it belongs there!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am quite amused me to see threads that were beat to death almost 10-years ago here on the forums being issues again.  Funny how we have gone full-circle!  

There are options for the guys with 16-inch barrels...  

There are slip-over FHs that will move the FH to the rear.  Most of these are too large in diameter to fit a bayonet mounting ring but I know I had one in the past that did work!

There are people that have made longer handled bayonets in both the M7 and M9 type that will work.  Note the M9 is easier to do this with and there used to be someone that sold a retrofit kit but I have not seen one in years!

Lastly, there are baynet lugs that mount to the barrel that allow you to mount the bayonet forward of the gas block!

Now, in answer to your question, I sure wouldn't bother adding a bayonet lug to a weapon that can't use a baynet anyways.  There are other items that will mount to the lug but in todays world of railed forends there really is no reason to mount things to the lug...  If there was no fifference in cost however, I would still want the bayonet lug for no other reason then it just looks like it belongs there pisses off some politicians!

Fixed for you bud.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Or....to save a few bucks if you're cheap.....just use ducktape, to put over the barrel, where the front bayonet ring would rest against the barrel.

It'll look funny.....but at least it won't marr your finish.  Believe it or not, but I did see one fellow do that.

Otherwise, just cut down your barrel, or if you have a pencil barrel, use the slipover flash hider, but then your carbine will look like the XM177.....too old school for most young'ns here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You could just buy a new barrel and sell the old one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I could....IF I knew how to install a barrel, and IF I knew how to headspace, and if it wasnt an A1 upper. Been thinking of replacing that with an A3.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I could....IF I knew how to install a barrel, and IF I knew how to headspace, and if it wasnt an A1 upper. Been thinking of replacing that with an A3.

You don't have to headspace when you install a new barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
well you SHOULD....but you dont have to....at least just get a field gauge....cuz if it closes on that one then yer Fucked!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why do military M4's have the lugs?

Most likely because it costs money to make/stock a new part. At least at the time, it was cheaper just to stick the existing FSB on there rather than tool up to make a new part. There's really no reason not to do so other than aesthetics, which, when you're the lowest bidder, don't mean much.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Ya think that since the 16" carbine came out, someone would make an adaptor OTHER than the clamp on barrel lug by DPMS. There should be some kind of an adaptor that would lock onto your lug & then have another lug on the end for the stock bayo. Now that the ban is gone, ya think someone would start making them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ya think that since the 16" carbine came out, someone would make an adaptor OTHER than the clamp on barrel lug by DPMS. There should be some kind of an adaptor that would lock onto your lug & then have another lug on the end for the stock bayo. Now that the ban is gone, ya think someone would start making them.

Depends... how much you willing to pay and I could make you one in a day or two if I can find the time....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top