Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2004 1:24:04 PM EDT
Ok I am building my first AR!  I love this site! I read all the time to get a Chrome lined barrel.  I understand that makes them more durable but what about a stainless?  I will be doing some competition and some hunting.  I like JPs parts!  I shot one of their guns and like the low or should I say no recoil.  Very accurate also.  What are your all thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For barrel longevity, it goes in this order.

A Chrome-moly steel barrel that the bore is chrome lined, then the Stainless steel barrel, then the Chrome-moly barrel that does not have a chrome lined Bore.

When your going for accuracy, the Chrome line plating can be cause variances in the bore (lands and grooves), so the SS barrel is a better choice.  But in regards to a rifle that is going to heat the hell out of a barrel (read M-16) a SS barrel will pretzel, so on the M-16, SS is not a option, and the chrome plated Bore is used to prolong the barrel from plasma throat erosion.

Now a primer on barrels, a barrel starts its life off as a rifled blank (round tube of steel).  This blank is then turned into a working barrel by profiling and chambering, then bore plating if chrome lined.  

A barrel blank is just the first step, it's the production of the blank that will either determine if the barrel will be accurate or not.  So before you put a lot of stock in the brand name of a barrel blank type, hence Wilson or Shaw, find out who is turning the blank into a finish barrel, and if they will guarantee that there finished product/barrel will group or not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Kreiger or Obermeyer, Hart, Pac-nor, Compass Lake Engineering.  They all have web-sites you can look at.  I like my Kreiger the best.  If you want the best for competition/accuracy get stainless or CM, do NOT get Chrome-lined.  Stainless breaks in easier/faster than CM.  You will see arguments on who makes the best barrel, but at a certain point they are all good.  Some will cut rifle, some will button rifle, then there is broach cut and hammer forged.  Most will agree that "cut" and "button" are the two best ways to rifle a barrel.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting.  Do you all have any expierence in JP Barrels?  I like the guy up there.  My buddy has his system and it has great accuracy and hardly any recoil.  thanks
http://jprifles.com/
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's a disservice to fill a newbie's head with all sorts of myths and hairsplitting arguments when they don't have the experience or knowledge to begin to take advantage of a custom barrel or even figure out why it's not working.

katoom - don't listen to these guys.  For you first AR, buy a quality Colt or Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel.  Period.  It will function fine with all kinds of ammo and in all conditions, and will be far more accurate than you'll be for several years to come.  You gotta decide if you want to build a rifle that you spend all your time tinkering with, or you want one you can shoot the crap out of and have fun with.  Your choice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so now I am confused!  I already own a Hbar Colt with 20" barrel and I just bought a A3 Bushmaster M4 replica.  That is why I wanted to build one.  I am addicted.  I will be hunting with it mostly, target shooting, and some competition.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Katoom...listen to Dano...he knows his stuff, go with the chrome lined. It will serve for hunting, target and competition. Unless you are already an accomplished target shooter, you probably won't even notice a difference between barrels. The chrome lined will serve better for hunting, especially in bad weather and conditions. Don't worry about getting a match grade barrel until  you get so accurate that the difference between a chrome-lined, a non-chrome-lined, and a custom barrel will make a difference in your scores. Dano has explained that non-chrome lined are generally more accurate, so ultimately its up to you regarding which is more important at this time...competition or hunting/plinking/general target shooting. Based on which is most important to you at this time will dictate which type barrel to get.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top