Olympic Arms armorer's wrench -- #H28B -- $27
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:38:53 AM EDT
Thanks will look at those
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:25:18 AM EDT
Smith Enterprises also has a wrench.

www.smithenterprise.com/1100_Other_Products_Page.htm

Don't you love having choices!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:29:02 AM EDT
I like my DPMS wrench, but haven't used any others, so I don't know if I'm missing anything or not

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:37:08 AM EDT
The oly arms wrench will NOT fit over the barrel nut of a Service rifle float tube. While it is a fine wrench, if you plan to do any work on competition service rifles i would pass on the oly arms wrench.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:13:14 PM EDT
The Smith Ent is my favorite. I use it and the DPMS "Panther Claw" or whatever they call it reciever block with the 2 pins. I am very happy with both.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:16:19 PM EDT
Broke a DPMS, Bought the Smith, like the Smith better. 3 pins are better than 2.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:25:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Azrael2004:
Broke a DPMS, Bought the Smith, like the Smith better. 3 pins are better than 2.

Me too, did yours do this?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:41:34 PM EDT
I have the Oly arms wrench. Very solid, very thick steel (i believe). Reminds me of Sears Crafstman stuff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:02:28 AM EDT
h8mtv,
That is a really bad break!
Mine sheared off one of the pins when i was torqueing the barrel nut for my PRI float tube.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:27:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Azrael2004:

The Smith wrench is very solid. I remember when I got the wrench in the mail. I was wondering what the hell was in the box because it was so freaking heavy. The only thing in the box was that wrench!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:04:55 AM EDT
I have one of the new DPMS wrenches and it feels very solid as well. Put on one barrel so far and it didn't break! Hope you were able to get your money back or at least a replacement from DPMS h8mtv.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:12:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FlyingFive0:
I have one of the new DPMS wrenches and it feels very solid as well. Put on one barrel so far and it didn't break! Hope you were able to get your money back or at least a replacement from DPMS h8mtv.

DMPS sent me a new one, and refunded my shipping for sending the old one back. Everyone makes a lemon now and again.

I also once cut my hand rather badly on the screwdriver end breaking loose a stubborn barrel nut. It broke free and my hand slid down the handle with my full force. Cut me wide open. When the wrench broke about a week later I decided to go with the Smith. I traded my replacement DPMS on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:30:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By h8mtv:
DMPS sent me a new one, and refunded my shipping for sending the old one back. Everyone makes a lemon now and again.

I also once cut my hand rather badly on the screwdriver end breaking loose a stubborn barrel nut. It broke free and my hand slid down the handle with my full force. Cut me wide open. When the wrench broke about a week later I decided to go with the Smith. I traded my replacement DPMS on the EE.

Ouch!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:00 AM EDT
Well, at least DPMS hooked you up!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:58:59 PM EDT
I trying find that everybody is saying if you only plain to buy one Barrel Wrench in you life it would be a Smith Wrench, is that correct everybody? That would waste my time and money on a DMPS Wrench. Let know what you think,
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:47:14 AM EDT
I'm gonna complicate things...if you're planning on doing float tubes with jam nuts, then the Yankee Hill wrench is very handy. It works on traditional barrel nuts, float tube type barrel nuts, and has a tooth for tightening jam nuts that works great. I have the DPMS wrench, and it's worked great, even on the Armalite upper that was a bitch to get broken down. I had to sit on the work bench to stop it from being lifted up from the pressure, and at the same time assist my buddy who was manning the wrench. If the DPMS wrench didn't break then, I can't see what more abuse I could heap on it.

I think it actually works better on regular barrel nuts...the prongs are so long you don't really have to compress the spring washer like you do with a regular DPMS style wrench.
Top Top