Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 7:02:39 PM EDT
How much would I save in weight going to goverment profile vs Hbar that I currently own. One 16 inch midlength and one 20 inch. Thanks in advance.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience is that the numbers mean less than how it feels in your hand.  Bushmaster publishes the weight values of both the barrels your considering -- see their FAQ section -- but you'll get the most meaningful info by handling them both side by side.  Good luck, and when in doubt, go light!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How much would I save in weight going to goverment profile vs Hbar that I currently own. One 16 inch midlength and one 20 inch. Thanks in advance.
-sigadvantage-

Here are the weights without hardware from The Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site courtesy of team member Forest.

16" Mid Length (Govt Profile under handguards) 1.6 lb
16" Medium Profile (0.75" for entire length) 1.8 lb

20" Govt (A2) Profile 2.1 lb
20" HBAR 3.1 lb

There is a 1 lb savings in the 20" going to the Gov't profile from HBAR.

I used to have a 20" HBAR but I replaced it with a M16A2 Gov't profile barrel and it's better when I carry it for a long priod of time.

I don't have the weight data for a mid length HBAR (like the RRA 16" mid length) but I'm sure you could feel the weight savings in going to the lighter profile.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever think about fluted barrels ?

Best of both worlds

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ever think about fluted barrels ?

Best of both worlds

Invisiblesoul

+1

TS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top