Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:49 PM EDT
Ive been trying to get the flash hider my 11.5" Armalite but its sooooo tight. my dad says to stick the reciever in a vice and then take it off. My question is will the barrel turn if the hider is too tight? Do I risk causing damage to the upper by doing this? He would put it in rubber so it doesnt scratch anything....Want to take off the flash hider to replace with phantom....any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:41:57 PM EDT
Put the barrel in the vice. The aluminum upper will distort easily. There is a little pin on the top of the barrel extension that will take all that torque if you put the upper in the vice. If you have to put the upper in a vice for any reason, put a 1" dowel in it to prevent crushing it. I used blocks of wood to prevent marring the barrel when trying to take a barrel off or put it on. If you can work aluminum to fit the profile of the barrel, that is even better. The smeared aluminum will come off easy with Hoppes #9, and probably other solvents too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:10:42 AM EDT
Everything that Pogo said using barrel jaws in the vise to protect it. Try a little gentle heat applied directly to the flash hider if it doesn't move easily at first.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:15:39 AM EDT
Is this an N.F.A. upper? If it's not then the FH is permanent and is most likely pinned and welded,in which case you are fixin' to f*ck up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:20:50 AM EDT
No no, I live in canada and we dont have anythig like that. Its removable just really really tight. It has the little washer behind it as well. I tried heating with no luck. This thing it extremely hard to take off. Maybe I'll just give it to a gun smith :(
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:22:55 AM EDT
Also...the upper doesnt need to be that tight in the vice, just enough to stay in place while the FH is twisted off. I am worried about crushing it though!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:32:05 PM EDT
Witht the upper even loosely in a vice it will be taking the brunt of the torque you apply at the FH. Wrap the barrel in some leather. Even though you're in Canada it may have been pinned because it could have been made to end up in the US.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:11:56 PM EDT
Well, its restricted for LE or military which hints that theres no need to pin the FH. Why would they but a washer behind it if so?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:11:19 PM EDT
I understand you are in Canada, but it was probably made in the states, or for import into the states. In which case, you are going to screw it up if you keep cranking on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:52:06 PM EDT
Well, I think its removeable for 3 reasons: - Its Law Enforcement - It has the little washer behind it - Its not on 100% strait Contacted the dealer for info...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:58:11 PM EDT
If it doesn't move with heat then suspect concealed fixings,but clamp the barrel not the upper a.b.d.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:49:53 PM EDT
Contacted the dealer, it will unscrew. Now to just do it :)
Top Top