Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 7:19:43 PM EDT
I currently have a LWRC M6A2 and I was looking at getting a Daniel Defense barrel for the replacement, but I'm not entirely sure they are compatible.  Are they?  If they aren't are there other quality barrels that are or do I have to send it to LWRC for a barrel swap?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They more than likely will not be because the M6A2 is a piston rifle, correct? If you get a DD barrel, I would think you would need to change the gas system to DI.

Did you out shoot that M6A2 barrel? Just curious because those barrels are CHF and should last 20K rounds or more
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What is wrong with the LWRC barrel???
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My first question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My first question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first question.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Right???? One of the best out there!??!!?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My first question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first question.

the only question really.....the DD barrel is nice but not as good as the lwrc barrel

there is no issue with the swap so if you feel inclined, swap away
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
First yes it is piston driven.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the barrel in fact I have only put approximately 2000 rounds through it.  My big issue is that it is 6.8 spc and the availability and price of ammunition is killer, so I was looking into swapping barrels to a 5.56MM.   As far as I know LWRC won't change barrel caliber on their uppers.  I was just looking for an economical to change to 5.56MM without springing for a new upper, or is that my best bet?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
you can swap any barrel there
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Caliber change:  that makes sense now.

I would just get another upper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First yes it is piston driven.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the barrel in fact I have only put approximately 2000 rounds through it.  My big issue is that it is 6.8 spc and the availability and price of ammunition is killer, so I was looking into swapping barrels to a 5.56MM.   As far as I know LWRC won't change barrel caliber on their uppers.  I was just looking for an economical to change to 5.56MM without springing for a new upper, or is that my best bet?
View Quote

Think so, new upper. unless you also moving the gas block over to the DD barrel.  I  have an early LWRC and it does seem so...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's a newer M6A2 you will need a special tool to take off the barrel nut as well. I had to make my own on the mill. But I just cerakoted it, no barrel swap. The LWRC gas blocks are pinned in place, so you would at least have to do that to a new barrel to accommodate the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]
As mentioned, the most cost effective option is to sell you current upper and buy one in 5.56.....there's plenty of buyers for 6.8spc uppers if your price is reasonable
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If I'm not mistaken, the bolt for the 6.8 is different than the 5.56, unlike using .300 Blackout.  So you would have to get a new bolt as well.  IMO, get a new upper.  If cost is a concern, get a DI upper.  You can get those for a fraction of the cost a LWRC upper.  Checkout BCM, they offer complete uppers that come with the bolt.

On a side note, I feel like 6.8 is going extinct and .300 AAC is taking off (still expensive though).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top