Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/30/2015 5:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT by DrkHorse57]
I’m planning my next build and I have a few preliminary questions about the barrel. It will be a 5.56, 14.5” barrel for a pinned and welded FH, so I’m finding mid-length and carbine gas ports and I would like to know which would be better? Next is, all that I looked at are “not pinned for front sight”, do I have to drill the barrel for the FSB?

All the rifles I’ve built so far has had SS barrels so I’m not too familiar with chrome lined, or melonite barrels so any advice on which barrels to research would be greatly appreciated.
Here are a few I’m looking at: EDITED selection

Aero Precision Barrel

Faxon Barrel

VooDoo Barrel

This weapon will be for home defense/SHTF purposes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
Mid length gas is suppose to have a lighter recoil impulse and less gas port erosion. If you want to put a standard FSB on then you will need it drilled for taper pins. There are a few A2 FSBs out there that are modified to use set screws but you still have to deal with pinning the FH on a 14.5. I don't have any experience with melonite barrels but my next barrel will be melonited as I hear a lot of really good things. I warning on melonite is that it is really hard to drill and ADCO won't touch a melonite barrel cause it's too hard on their tooling. I have the 16" version of that spikes barrel (made by FN) and I love it. CHF and chrome lining are suppose to increase strength and durability while negatively affecting accuracy. But at close range (inside 100yds) I am really happy with mine. I can put a full mag in a fist sized group as quick as I can align the dot and pull the trigger. I have never sat down on a solid rest with it but it is more than capable for minute of man in a HD/SHTF situation. Now melonited 4150 cmv is suppose to be all the pluses of chrome lined CHF while maintaining accuracy but very difficult to work with. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be prepared to go through a couple of drill bits.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2015 9:23:41 PM EDT by DrkHorse57]
Thank you Bjl4776 for your reply. Good info, just what I'm looking for. That helps me narrow down barrel selection.

I was able to narrow down my barrel selection from 7 to 3, two has 1:7 twist and one has 1:8 twist.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:49:45 PM EDT
And if you are going for a 14.5 because of weight most of them are the same weight as a 16" lw profile. The only one I have found that is lighter is Faxon just came out with a 14.5 pencil. If you want a shorter rifle then disregard that. It's just something to think about . Also voodoo has an a2 style flash hider that is less than .750 od so you can pin it and still change out gas blocks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:52 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bjl4776:
And if you are going for a 14.5 because of weight most of them are the same weight as a 16" lw profile. The only one I have found that is lighter is Faxon just came out with a 14.5 pencil. If you want a shorter rifle then disregard that. It's just something to think about . Also voodoo has an a2 style flash hider that is less than .750 od so you can pin it and still change out gas blocks.
View Quote

Looks like most of your questions have been answered. If we can assist further, please let us know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 10:46:42 PM EDT by WrenchGuy]
I have recently built two ARs with this VooDoo barrel, use a clamp-on front sight or low profile gas block, easy as pi.

This barrel has the flash hider already installed, and its OD is .74" so you barrel nut and gas block slide right over it.

Top Top