Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2005 8:25:34 AM EDT
I was shooting my new AR6450 a couple a days ago at the range, after about 200 rounds
the handguards started to rotate. I thought this was wierd so I took off the handgaurds and
noticed the barrel nut was loose. Since there isn't a gas tube to lock the nut I guess it decided to loosen up after a few heat cycles. This range doesn't allow rapid fire so that wasn't a contributing factor (3 seconds between shots).

I took the upper to a local vendor C&S Mettal-Workes and they tightened for me. I also had them put a short piece of gas tube in the FSB so that the front of the guards would rotate either.

It's fixed now but this really blows....spend big bucks on a new firearm and then have it
need work done to it after a few hundred rounds. I called Colt and told them what happended for what good that will do. It reminds me of owning a new car....

Anybody else have this happen to you ????

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a dummy gas tube in my dedicated upper to solve this problem.

If you torque that barrel nut to about 50 ft/lbs, it shouldnt come loose to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt doesn't drill the upper for a tube so a full length tube won't fit. A stub will fit in the FSB so at least the handguard support won't rotate. The barrel nut is torqued on there now so this shouldn't happen again.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top