Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:23:39 PM EDT
I really like the way the 16" barrels "feel" on my ARs and am contemplating selling a NIB BM with a 20" barrel and sticking with all 16s.  Most of my hunting/shooting is under 300 yards with only plinking/gong-work beyond that (at least so far).  What will I be giving up with a 16" vs. 20" barrel for a 223 Rem??  

I'm also planning on picking up a 16" AR10 soon so any input on 308 Win performance with 16"/20" barrels would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ammo-oracle.com--when in doubt check the oracle

h/w, i dont remember if it had any ballistic/velcoity/energy charts.....

you will be giving up velocity and more than likely frag range
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington's ammo ballistic charts specify the given velocities as valid out of a 24" barrel, and state that one should estimate about 50 fps lost for every 2" of barrel as a rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I really like the way the 16" barrels "feel" on my ARs and am contemplating selling a NIB BM with a 20" barrel and sticking with all 16s.  Most of my hunting/shooting is under 300 yards with only plinking/gong-work beyond that (at least so far).  What will I be giving up with a 16" vs. 20" barrel for a 223 Rem??  

I'm also planning on picking up a 16" AR10 soon so any input on 308 Win performance with 16"/20" barrels would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

Go with what you like...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Look here in the ammunition forumn...www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=189353
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look here in the ammunition forumn...www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=189353

Great link.  So what happens to bad guys/varmints hit beyond the frag-limits???  Giggle and walk away or just a slower death by smaller hole???
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great link.  So what happens to bad guys/varmints hit beyond the frag-limits???  Giggle and walk away or just a slower death by smaller hole???

Depends on where they are hit. But even if the slug doesn't fragment, it still yaws, like nearly all other slugs. But the damage is alot less than if it fragmented. That .224 hole will still bleed, still damage stuff, but it may not be enough for an immediate stop. Especially against Muslim insurgents all hopped up on drugs.

That's why I don't understand why the Army is using M855 and M4s. M4 and M193 would be a better combintion; longer effective fragmentation range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm also planning on picking up a 16" AR10 soon so any input on 308 Win performance with 16"/20" barrels would also be appreciated.Thanks for your input.

Your January American Rifleman has a test of the Socom II  16" M1A.  Check out the velocity specs and energy there. Pretty surprising.

rj
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The only thing is with the springfield rifles coming out now is that chrome lined barrels are no longer offered.I emailed them and they confirmed that for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes that extra velocity might be preferrable...ie in conditions that would warrant some extra velocity and / or penetration.

I know in Maine, medium to large sized game either wears a thick coat of fur, or an insulated parka.

I think it's atrocious for a Mainer to NOT have at least ONE 20" AR in the arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sometimes that extra velocity might be preferrable...ie in conditions that would warrant some extra velocity and / or penetration.

I know in Maine, medium to large sized game either wears a thick coat of fur, or an insulated parka.

I think it's atrocious for a Mainer to NOT have at least ONE 20" AR in the arsenal.

LMAO!!!  Great response - I guess I'll be keeping a 20" too....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO!!!  Great response - I guess I'll be keeping a 20" too....

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top