Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:19:42 PM EST
I was under the understanding that anything with a barrel under the length of 12" was considered a pistol (unless it is singleshot) and cannot have a buttstock, rifles are anything with a barrel of 16" or longer, and shotguns had to have a barrel longer than 18". Of course if you have a class 3 firearms license/taxstamp, or whatever you call them, then you can have a barrel of any length and full auto.

so to the point, on this forum I have seen many people with SBR's they have made with 10.5" barrels and colapsible buttstocks. Is this legal to take a ar-15 rifle and put a realy short barrel on it, or am I just missing something?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:26:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 4:28:27 PM EST by COLT6721A3]
If your AR receiver is registered as a PISTOL ... then it is a pistol and cannot legally have a buttstock on it. If your AR receiver is registered as a rifle it must have a buttstock and at least a 16" barrel. If your AR receiver is registered as an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) it must have a Buttstock and can have a barrel less than 16" ... All depends on how it is registered with the BATF ... obviously ... most AR receivers are registered as rifles .. The SBR costs $200 to register ... Pistols and rifles don't ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:31:18 PM EST
Is the $200 a one time registaration fee or a yearly thing, and can it be done at your local guns shop?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:34:39 PM EST
o and why when they sell civilian MP5 and PS90 dont they just have you register it as a SBR, instead they extend the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:35:04 PM EST
Check out the NFA forum ... all the info is there .... it's a 1 time payment ...
Top Top