Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 9:14:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2003 10:49:18 AM EST by gman552]
I have a preban Oly CAR-9 originally purchased with an 11.5"/5.5" barrel and A1 upper. I bought a registered AWC CQB suppressor back in the mid-1990's and had it permanently attached by AWC to the 11.5" barrel (yes, I know this was a dumbass idea) to avoid making an SBR.

I am now planning to register the lower as an SBR, have the can removed from the barrel, and have the barrel cut down and rethreaded to 1/2" x 36 TPI.

What would be the optimum barrel length, assuming I want to keep the original carbine handguards and the ability to attach a flash suppressor if I want to shoot without the can attached?

This would rule out designs like the SWR Alpha SD, as nice as it is.

Who would you recommend to do this kind of work? KKF?

Or should I go with a setup like this one (photo credit - "Amphibian"/AR15.com):

Thanks,
Gabe
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:33:11 PM EST
One more thought - what about buying an RRA flattop 9mm upper with free-float forend and having it cut off and threaded for the can/flash suppressor just behind the gas block? I'll use a Reflex II sight. Can this upper be used with the Oly SOCOM block and Sten mags? Gabe
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:57:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By gman552: One more thought - what about buying an RRA flattop 9mm upper with free-float forend and having it cut off and threaded for the can/flash suppressor just behind the gas block? I'll use a Reflex II sight. Can this upper be used with the Oly SOCOM block and Sten mags? Gabe
View Quote
The RRA 9mm is a Colt type system, so the SOCOM block w/ Stens is out. However, if you look [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=136191] Here [/url] you find that a couple of people have adapted the JRW magwell adapter to use Stens in the RRA or Colt type system. After I get back from a business trip next week, I'm going to do this conversion, to my RRA/ CavArms Yellow 9mm [bounce] Jamie
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:00:16 AM EST
If you want the traditional AR 9mm SMG look, go with 10-10.5", retains front sight post. You need to go study the way you want to assemble. I'm having Kurt make a 8.5" barrel, looks like front of Uzi without the barrel nut, then my AWC MK9 Uzi can will simply screw onto it, and sit 2.5" inside a Kurt's "BIG ASS HANDGUARD" similar to what Amphipian had earlier on (due to AWC 2" OD). He now uses a std free float tube cut to length so the MK9K he uses on the 5" barrel simply "butt's to tube when installed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:50:56 PM EST
My short Oly upper is 10.5" and looks just like the original Colt SMG upper. It is threaded and has a A2 style flash suppressor on it. I am planning on using a thread adapter and using my Coastal M11 suppressor (I know, but it was cheap!) when the stamp clears.
Top Top