Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2003 7:21:53 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to install a new barrel on my flattop receiver. Is it better to use a receiver clamp or barrel jaw blocks?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, it is WAY better to have the upper reciever vise block set.  The clam shell portion holds the reciever and the insert keeps everything intact.  With this set-up you don't have to worry about deforming the barrel pin notch in the reciever (which is very commonplace with the barrel vise inserts alone).

You will probably want a set of the barrel vise inserts though, for holding the barrel to change and/or remove the front sight base.  It makes that job much easier having the barrel solidly supported.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Totally agree, hold the reciever. That is what the barrel nut is screwed on to. Good answer!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Given the amount of force we needed to get the barrel nut loose from my Arlalite upper even WITH a receiver block, I can't imagine doing it with the barrel jaw blocks.  I had to sit on the workbench, while my buddy, who goes about 300lbs and works as a bouncer pulled for all he was worth on the wrench.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top