Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 3:59:01 PM EDT
Today I installed a new Bushy M4 barrel on my carbine. I used a set of vise blocks that I got from Bushmaster, even wraped the barrel in a towel prior to inserting in the block, but still got marks on the barrel from the blocks. How do you install a barrel and avoid leaving the barrel looking like a hack gunsmith did the job?????
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Try steel wool and CLP to get it off. Receiver blocks are a whole lot better, Brownells sell a good one.

MM419
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
First, you should've used a receiver block instead of the barrel blocks.  Bushmaster sells 'em.

If you have silver-colored marks on the barrel from the vise blocks, you can blacken them with Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black and they'll blend in with the parkerizing on the barrel so you'd hardly notice them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The sales rep from Bushmaster at the BRC last summer sold me the vise block specifically for installing barrels. But I see that the action block would probably eliminate the problem I am having. A little CLP and some steel wool cleaned it up though, it was metal from the vise block and not actual marring of the barrel metal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Use vise jaws only for removing and installing muzzle brakes and flash hiders.  

For barrel installation, use the action block.

When you tighten the barrel nut onto the receiver with the barrel held in vise jaws, the force countering your torque on the barrel nut is concentrated on that little steel index pin of the barrel where it contacts the soft aluminum of the receiver.  Guess what happens?  The aluminum will dent and the sight will be canted unless you luck out and get alignment early.

Any marks on the barrel from removing or replacing a flash hider will be under the handguard and not show.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto to what everyone else is saying, just get the receiver block, it makes life real easy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top