Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 3:28:34 PM EDT
I haven't found an answer through searching, hopefully somebody can help.

I actually have two questions:

First, I "heard" that a bayonet cannot be mounted on a 16" barrel is this true?

Second, does anybody know where I can purchase a 14.5" barrel with a vortex perm installed?

Thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
you can have a vortex perm attached from ADCO if you send them your 14.5 barrel.

yes, 16'' barrels are too long for normal bayonets. only this bayonets will fit 16'' barrels
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You could get anything at the Equipment Exchange of this site.

Just click on the Equipment Exchange tab on top right side of any webpage here.

Then click on AR15 Parts - New - Uppers and look around there.

You could also search using search function, type "barrel", select Equipment Exchange, good luck.

Or you could click here to take you directly to the EE Uppers
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Check with Eagle Firearms a dealer on this site.

They had 14.5" Colt  "LIKE NEW" M-4 takeoff barrels and could perm. attach a Phantom for extra. IIRC.

I got the barrel and attached a Phantom myself.

Danny

P.S. The barrel looked new to me.

ETA: they offer other barrels too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
A bayonet will work on a 16" if you have the mid-length handguards/gas system. Personally I would choose a 14.5" with the carbine length handguards or the 16" with the midlength handguards. I got a 14.5" with permanently attached Phantom from Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can have a vortex perm attached from ADCO if you send them your 14.5 barrel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that I couldn't even purchase a 14.5" barrel because of the NFA.  That's why I've been having such a hard time finding the barrel I wanted with the Vortex already on it.

I don't have a class III, and Michigan isn't exactly conservative...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a relatively common thing for people to buy short barrels and then put a muzzle device on them themselves or using local resources. I don't know about your state laws though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Check with Eagle Firearms a dealer on this site.

They had 14.5" Colt  "LIKE NEW" M-4 takeoff barrels and could perm. attach a Phantom for extra. IIRC.

I got the barrel and attached a Phantom myself.

Danny

P.S. The barrel looked new to me.

ETA: they offer other barrels too.

Do they still have them? I checked just the other day and they seemed to of been removed from their site? I have to go look again
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that I couldn't even purchase a 14.5" barrel because of the NFA.  That's why I've been having such a hard time finding the barrel I wanted with the Vortex already on it.

CMMG has the exact barrel that you want.  I handled one at the last gun show in Springfield.  They have them in stock.  Check the industry forum.  $299 for a chrome lined, 1/7 twist, phantom  permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in the same situation as you last March when I was buying my barrel/ upper for my carbine project.

I was buying the same 14.5" M4 barrel from a class III machine gun dealer and he e-mailed me that it is legal to send the under 16" barrel to me as long as I did not posses a AR15 receiver in the same address the barrel is to be shipped.

I didn't buy the barrel because I already have my carbine completed lower and upper assembly.

However there is a solution that I didn't know then. You could move your receiver to anyplace outside your house, like a friend or a relatives house while you are in possesion of the SBR barrel. After you ship out your barrel to the gunsmith then you could bring your receiver back home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but are you basing your decision on anything besides a bayonet being able to fit?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I can offer a 14.5 barrel w a vortex per attached..please feel free to call me at 480-367-9540....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but are you basing your decision on anything besides a bayonet being able to fit?

hing
I wasn't basing my decision on it at all.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the different barrel sizes and had already made up my mind.

Although, you do make a good point.  I don't think anybody should base their decision on something so trivial.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you to everybody that responded, you were all a great help!

I'm expecting my Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel this week, and my lower will be at a friends house while I have the FH installed!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thank you to everybody that responded, you were all a great help!

I'm expecting my Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel this week, and my lower will be at a friends house while I have the FH installed!

Thanks again!

You should realy like it... I built one of my tactical carbines using a SOCOM barrel... Best damn 14.5" barrel Ive ever used...  Just under 1 MOA @ 100 yards
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as the bayonet, with a 16 inch barrel and midlength hand gaurds a standard bayonet (one that will fit on a 20" barrel with standard handgaurds) will fit.  If you have carbine length or m-4 length then you will need an extended bayonet like the one shown at the begining of the thread.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#17]
IMHO if your just gunna shoot targets and do some plinking go 14.5 if you will do some hunting and little bit longer range shooting go 16"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top