Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:42:37 AM EDT
OK, all. I looked and couldn't find the info. I know someone posted it at one time. Does anyone know the weights for the various barrels out there? I have a Colt HBAR (dare I say pre-ban, not that it matters now?) and, while it's REALLY good for quick follow-up shots, it's kinda unbalanced and heavy. What I really wanted was a light-weight, A1-style barrel, chrome bore and chamber, 5.56 chamber with 1/7 or 1/9 twist. Haven't found anything like that out there. Is an A2 Govt barrel really that much heavier? I'm only interested in 20" barrels for this rifle. And, no, I really don't want the factory barrel turned down. The rifle probably isn't worth a whole lot since the AWB sunsetted but I'd just as soon keep the factory barrel intact in case I decide to sell it somewhere down the road, that way I can return it to original condition. Thanks for the help.

Bub
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What I really wanted was a light-weight, A1-style barrel, chrome bore and chamber, 5.56 chamber with 1/7 or 1/9 twist. Haven't found anything like that out there.

They exist - but they are VERY rare.

Is an A2 Govt barrel really that much heavier?

It's not that much heavier (4.8oz), However the extra weight is all near the muzzle so it seems heavier than it really is.

You can have that A2 (or your HBAR) barrel turned down to A1 specs.  Both KKF and ADCO do that kind of work.  I've had both do that kind of work on my barrels and they came out great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys! Knew I had seen that chart somewhere!

So I can shave off about a pound by ditching the HBAR and going to an A2-style barrel, huh? Guess it isn't worth it, to me anyway, to spend the extra $$$ to save 4.8oz and have the A2 turned down to an A1-style. Cool! Thanks again!

Bub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top