Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2010 7:39:16 PM EDT
Hi all.  I have a 16" HBAR carbine and have never been really happy with the way this gun balances.  Seems overly heavy in the front due to the HBAR barrel.  I've looked at buying an M4 barrel but this is not cheap, and I see that Adco does barrel recontouring.  

How much weight would having this HBAR barrel recountoured full length to an M4 barrel take off, and will it change the balance considerably?

Would having this contoured to a lightweight countour instead save a lot of weight vs. an M4 contour, or are the two pretty similar in weight/balance?

I'm looking to turn my "sluggish" feeling carbine into a lighter and "more responsive" feeling rifle, and wondering if recontouring the barrel is a good move with a company like Adco?  I would assume they would do good work and for $65 to recontour/parkerize and $35 to tear down and reassemble, it seems like this might be a good alternative to buying an all new barrel.  Anyone have experience with this?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
ADCO turns the barrel down to roughly 0.700".  If you ask for this both in front of, and behind, the FSB your barrel will be almost as light as a std M4 (not M4A1).  You can also ask them to recrown your barrel while have it.

They are good guys to work with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 16" HBAR barrel threaded, and turned down to a super light profile, by ADCO.  The workmanship was top notch, and well worth the price.  I'm not sure exactly how much lighter the barrel is,  but the difference is very noticeable.  The rifle balances very nicely now, with a standard M4 stock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
After Saturday's carbine course I'm going to have my main rifle reprofiled from M4 to lightweight.  I have been wanting to do it for a while, but Saturday has really thrown my ass into gear.  Due to two stuck casings in the M4 and no chamber brush to remedy the problem I finished the class with my 6520 (lightweight bbl).  The 6520 is much easier to handle and faster on target, much easier to hold at the low ready for long periods of time, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in my shooting speed (that I expected with a lighter rifle with no optics). Some of this is due to my 6520 being bare-bones aside from a sling and FSB-mounted M951, while my M4 has light, rail, T1, sling, etc.  However, I really think a lot of the difference lies in the barrel.

Long story short, if you want a sweet-handling and more responsive rifle, go lightweight.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Weight savings by reprofiling an HBAR carbine under the handguards to ~.625" will cut approximately 5-6 ounces.

Figure that turning the ~.730" area in front of the FSB down to the same diameter as under the handguards will save maybe 3-4 ounces.

You could go as light as .575" if you want to cut as much weight as possible.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top