Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 2:00:09 PM EDT
I am wanting to re-finish the stainless steel barrel on my bushy, to black, so that it matches the rest of the rifle and does not shine so brightly in the mid day sun when I have a yote' in my crosshairs... can anyone point me in the direction of what kind of finish to use on it.... is it something that I can do myself, and make it look professionaly done...  I am not wanting to just go to walmart and get a can of black primer.... I want it to be done right...!!  any advice is greatly appreciated....

thanks...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Gun-kote is good, takes some prep on your part. Norrells finish is excellent, still takes some prep on your part. Alumahyde II is great if you can run a can of spray paint, and you can wait till it cures. Hard as nails, comes in colors other than black. Or you could pay someone a few bucks to do it for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Any product is only as good as its base coat.  A smooth SS barrel is not a good surface to refinish, take it and have it sand blasted, then you can coat it with whatever you want.

Here is a link that goes over refinishing stuff...

www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113&st=0&#entry32406
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pardon my ignorance on this issue, but I see myself dabbling in the art of AR refinishing and I have one question:

Doesn't the name Alumahyde imply that it is best used on aluminum?  The Brownells web site states "aluminum and alloys".  I have yet to use it on anything other than aluminum, like carry handles, FF tubes and other small, aluminum items.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sand Blasting is a VERY good idea. It will rough up the barrel enough to allow the finish to adhere to it.
I've avoided buying a barrel that's SS for an AR for the simple fact that I don't want a shiny barrel. I know they are very accurate though. Not that I know options are available, I may consider a SS barrel now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
You can just bead blast it so that it isn't so shiney.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Some good Refinishing info here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sand Blasting is a VERY good idea. It will rough up the barrel enough to allow the finish to adhere to it.
I've avoided buying a barrel that's SS for an AR for the simple fact that I don't want a shiny barrel. I know they are very accurate though. Not that I know options are available, I may consider a SS barrel now.

Hey there!!  Good to see you over here!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info guys.... greatly appreciated....!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top