Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2010 6:57:26 PM EDT
Attempting to remove a BCM Barrel Nut but it's proving to be extraordinarily difficult.

I have it in a receiver block and vise (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17094/Product/AR_15_AR_STYLE__308_UPPER_RECEIVER_BLOCK)
and am using a PRI Barrel Wrench with a Breaker Bar.

Unscrewing it lefty loosey (as if a bottle)
and I have tried using PB Penetrating Spray.

I feel as if I can add more torque to get it off but I'm afraid of the upper receiver getting twisted out of spec.

But I am putting a good amount of pressure as it is.

I've tried whacking it with a hammer to soften it up but it's still tight.

Any ideas other than just putting more muscle into it? I can see it kind of flex so I don't want to put too much pressure into it if it's not budging.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 7:00:39 PM EDT
Got it off. Just kept up steady pressure and it broke free. BCM guns seem to have each item extremely tight.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 2:57:36 PM EDT
Nice job poidog22.. I used to do as you said with the tools you show but now I put the barrel in a barrel vise and do not torque the upper receiver at all...
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 8:26:33 PM EDT
Glad you got it off. You might try a propane torch next time to get things motivated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:22:14 AM EDT
I'm having this same problem with my Colt. Will heat help?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:21:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CENTCOM_Survivor:

Propane is your friend. I usually heat them up as a rule. Many manufactures will apply thermal thread-lock and if it's used, the fouling could add to your headache. Once it's warm a good barrel wrench, rubber mallet & presto.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:41:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FLchuck8:

Propane is your friend. I usually heat them up as a rule. Many manufactures will apply thermal thread-lock and if it's used, the fouling could add to your headache. Once it's warm a good barrel wrench, rubber mallet & presto.

Thanks, someone mentioned freezing the barrel/upper also. Any advantage to that?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:58:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FLchuck8:

Thanks, someone mentioned freezing the barrel/upper also. Any advantage to that?

Part of heating is to solve the issues of thread lock. Other than that, heat vs cold is to take advantage of different thermal expansion/contraction of the 2 metals involved. Heat is quicker but if it doesn't work you could try cooling it. I have never needed to go that direction.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:28:11 AM EDT
We will see if this works, my wife will love this:
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:15:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:15:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dano523:
CENTCOM_Survivor, you should be fine with the wife with the upper in her frig,

On the other hand, it when you rip the top rack out of her dishwasher so you can degrease a M-1 stock set, she might start frowning. It's also right up there with using the oven to bake some paint spay on finishes for firearms as well, hence not only funking up the house right away, but leaving some extra flavoring in the things that she bakes for the next week as well.

You speak the truth.

Friend of mine suggested I try the freezer thing one night after telling him about these super stubborn FSB tapper pins I was trying to get out for the last 1/2 hour (and I had the proper tools)... couple of hours later they were out ... luckily the wife was out shopping .... shopping time is also when paint projects get done .... then a frozen pizza pocket gets sacrificed (overcooked) to the oven gods to get rid of the smell quicker.

"Honey!!! you need to buy me some more of those pizza pockets I have a paint pro__ [cough cough] ... aahh ... friends coming over later"
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:30:40 PM EDT
The freezer did the trick!! I used the panther claw, freezer, wrench, and breaker pipe and it finally gave. The panther claw and freezer is what I was missing the first time.

Thanks for everyones help!
Top Top