Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 12:42:13 PM EDT
I have an option of a 20" barrel or a 24" barrel on a PCR-1 Ultramatch (Broach cut 416 stainless steel heavy barrel, 20" OAL, 1x8" twist).  I intend to be shooting anywhere between 50-600 yards.  I'm not sure what bullet grain I will typically be using yet...something between 55gr and 80gr.

I am trying to decide whether I should keep the stock 20" barrel, or have a 24" barrel installed.  What would you guys suggest?  

1) would 24" be too long for a 55gr bullet? I know that longer barrel only increases velocity to a certain point and then it's gonna start having an inverse effect

2) how much weight do you think it would add, about 1 pound i am thinking?

3) how much more MOA accuracy do you think I could expect at 600 yards?

4) is the number of revolutions of the bullet within a barrel a useful number?  it would be 2.5 revs in a 20" and 3 revs in a 24".  if this is a useful number, what is the significance of it?

5) in your opinion, is it worth it?

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take a shot at it.

1. The difference (if any) would be insignificant.

2. No idea.

3. None

4. No

5. No

Cheers!
Him

None of this shit has anything to do with learning to shoot or accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, the ammo oracle is a great FAQ and I have read the whole thing, but it does not talk about this stuff...i dunno if its you but people keep replying to my questions by simply giving me this link over and over again even when it does not discuss relevant topics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
A longer barrel will give more velocity and more RPMs thus more stability.  However longer barrels whip more.  Becasue of this you will have more stability for long range ammo with the longer barrel and more velocity.  However shorter barrels of the same thickness are stiffer and more accurate/consistent all things being equal.

I would get the 20" as the 24" is a bit overkill and you could hamper accuracy ever so slightly while getting very little back in terms of velocity.  What is the maximum range you can shoot at your local range?  If you can shoot to 800-1000 yards, the longer barrel will help.  If not Stick to the 20"

Extra weight will be about half a pound or so.  Not a full pound unless its a REALLY thick barrel.

The number of revolutions inside the barrel means nothing.  Only the RPMs as the bullet leaves the barrel matter.  The slight increase in velocity will create higher RPMs in the 24".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top