Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 5:04:46 PM EDT
I'm wanting to build or purchase a barreled upper to use for varmiting and long range paper punching. Is the extra 4" of the 24" barrel worth choosing it over a 20" barrel? Should I prefer a stainless steel barrel over a chrome moly steel one?

I should mention also that I'm on a limited budget, so any suggestions or advice on selecting components or completed uppers would be deeply appreciated.

Ray

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For varmit shooting the 24" has many advantages.  SS is the better way, and cost usually will equal accuracy.  If you do not intend to shoot at significant distances (over 500 yards) then perhaps shorter barrels would work.  The noise is closer, and after a day of it you will understand.

My 24"

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no AR varminting expert (my varmint rig is a 22-250 Handi-Rifle), but SS will generally require substantially more budget for any given barrel length.  You will want to avoid chrome lined barrels with long range accuracy as your primary goal.

For the varminter on a budget, you might consider the Bushmaster Varminter or the DPMS 24" Bull Barrel from Del-Ton.  Both are fairly inexpensive, and the DPMS from Del-Ton includes a FF tube.

You could probably get a nicer 20" barrel - say a  - for similar money.

Forget all that.  Buy the White Oak Armament Match Rifle Barrel on this page.  26" with fitted gas block and extended gas tube for <$300.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm no AR varminting expert (my varmint rig is a 22-250 Handi-Rifle), but SS will generally require substantially more budget for any given barrel length.  You will want to avoid chrome lined barrels with long range accuracy as your primary goal.

For the varminter on a budget, you might consider the Bushmaster Varminter or the DPMS 24" Bull Barrel from Del-Ton.  Both are fairly inexpensive, and the DPMS from Del-Ton includes a FF tube.

You could probably get a nicer 20" barrel - say a  - for similar money.

Forget all that.  Buy the White Oak Armament Match Rifle Barrel on this page.  26" with fitted gas block and extended gas tube for <$300.

There is a varmit version at the bottom that comes in a 26". It's a little thicker than the match barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the extra 4" of the 24" barrel worth choosing it over a 20" barrel?

Here are a couple links you may find interesting:

Barrel Length vs. Muzzle Velocity

The Effects Of Reducing The Barrel Length On Velocity And Accuracy In The 223 Remington
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Feral, superlative post.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top