Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT
Hi guys, I have installed barrels before and never had a problem.  On this particular barrel, I cannot get it installed to where the gas tube can be inserted and the barrel remains tight on the receiver.  The best I can get it is almost hand tight, where the barrel moves inside the upper slightly.  If I try to tighten it more I have to push very hard and even then the nut goes just far enough to where a tooth is blocking the gas tube hole.         Any help is much appreciated!!  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]
No one has encountered this before huh?  Maybe I should replace the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The advice I've heard before is to tighten and loosen a few times and see if you can get to the next hole.

Did you lube up the threads prior to installing the barrel nut??
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help, I use regular moly grease every time.  I guess ill keep trying, but the force I would need to get it there would definitely be out of torque spec.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Your only choice is to use moly lube on the threads, tighten and loosen a few times, torque to 30#, then tighten however much more you need to align a notch in the barrel nut for the gas tube. If the torque exceeds the maximum, so be it, as you've done everything that you can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Do Not under estimate the magic of "loosening and tightening".  Each time you loosen-and-tighten to your desired torque value, you are lapping the threads.  This will causes the notch to evientally be aligned.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Walmart has Moly based grease for $1.50/tube. It's pitch black, smells nasty, but it's really slick stuff.
Apply lots of it to the threads, use an action block, good wrench, and a large breaker bar to turn that nut. I didn't have to tighten/back off. I directly torqued to 40 ft-lb and then turned until the notch lined up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep tourqing to 30 and remove. Do this several times.  It should be fine after that, I had to do this to get my gas tube to align properly in the receiver.  I just hope it works fine at the range.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top