Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 3:23:06 AM EDT
What are your opinions of this latch and what would you recommend. It is my understanding some aftermarket latches will damage the retaining notch in the upper. If so, which latch should I avoid?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What are your opinions of this latch and what would you recommend. It is my understanding some aftermarket latches will damage the retaining notch in the upper. If so, which latch should I avoid?

Thanks.

There are a lot of treads about this in the past. Bottom line, it's a matter of preference. The 3 latches that are popular here ar the Badger Gen 1 and 2 and the PRI Big Latch.

I have both the PRI big latch and the Badger Gen 2. I prefer the PRI to the Badger 2 because it is more comfortable to operate with the thumb and forefinger. The Badger latch stops PAST the 90 degree angle while the PRI stops at 90 degrees when you pull o the CH. This is significant difference in style FOR ME because I find the 90 deree angle more comfortable and easier to pull from. Again, it is a matter of personal preference. They both work.

I also had the Badger Gen 1 before but I found it too long that it snagged on my sling and clothes. I think the Gen 1 is ok when using scopes / magnified optics on SPR type rifles.

With regard the "DAMAGE" to the uppers ... the badger has a tendency to eat up on the upper since the Badger Latch is made of steel. Thus, steel latch vs. aluminum upper = aluminum upper will get eaten out (in time .... this is not an immediate thing).

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that problem has been addressed,if you get an old one with a sharp hook you can smooth it
out.I have types 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the PRI Latch after reading several threads on the subject here

The .mil latch from PRI was the overwhelming favorite since it made access quick, and simple, without being so big it was occasionally a liability (Badger)

Since adding it to one AR, I liked it so much I put it on a few others.

two thumbs up for the PRI .mil latch!!

PRI Latch @ MTSN
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I needed and quick too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a badger gen2 on my bushmaster.  I could really take it or leave it.  After reading that part about it eating up my upper, I might just put the factory one back one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I know alot of people don't care for the Badger gen 1 latch but I happen to like it alot.  The one thing I don't like is how it tears up the receiver notch.  Do I just ground down the little hook on the end?  do I just round it off?

thanks,
bill
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top