Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2005 5:19:27 AM EDT
I've never seen one of these in the flesh, and can't find anything with a 30 day search.  How are they?

I know the shape's a little different, but sometimes different is good.  My concern is with how well the top rail lines up with a flattop rail, and how much of a gap there is between the upper rail and handguard rail.

Anybody that can comment on these?  How comfortable (or not) are they for offhand shooting?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my custom upper that George Gardner with GA precision built for me and I like it.  My intention was to use this primarily as a target gun vs. offhand shooting and that is really where it shines.  The trapezoidal shape is not too bad for offhand shooting, but not as comfortable for me as some slimmer grips available (I don't have small hands, but they are not big either, just average).  It is very well made and very easy to remove once you install the Badger retaining nut.  The rail lines up perfectly with the rail on my flat top receiver and there is no gap at the interface between the receiver rail and the handguard rail.

Like you, I think different is good.  I am very happy with the purchase.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the carbine length version and I like the looks of it as well as the feel of the grip, but it might be just a little heavy......I wish the Daniel Defense or LaRue had a continuous top rail like the badger!  Anyway here is are some pics..........http://www.hunt101.com/img/203740.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/205919.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/205916.jpg
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The more I see of these handguards, the more I like them!  How badly do they heat up?

For me, it would be a rifle length HG going on a 16" 9mm barrel with no gas block.  I was planning on using a Armalite or Clark Custom tube, but I really would prefer having a top rail.  A quad rail would be overkill for what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine doesn't heat up at all.  I don't typically dump mag after mag, either, though.  Thirty shot strings with one shot every 2-3 seconds and it stays nice and cool.

It is kind of heavy, but for my intended use as a target gun, that was actually a plus.  I will try to post some pics if I can figure out how to do it.  I have the rifle length and I also have the Badger gas block.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, that's two people that say it's a little on the heavy side.  I think I'm going to have to find out the weight before I decide, especially since I'm looking at a rifle length.  At least I'll save some weight by removing the FSB.

I'll email Marty at Badger now and see what he says about the weight.

Does anyone have a pic of the muzzle end from the front?  I'd like to see how wide these are at the bottom.  I'm thinking they're similar to a M16 triangular handguard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
sweet looking rifle Bro
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OK - the rifle length Badger is 26 oz.  Yow!  Looks great, though - I wonder how much weight I'll be saving by not having a FSB?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody else with pics or comments?

The RRA 9mm upper I bought ended up being a carbine, not a midlength.  I removed the gas block, and am thinking a midlength Badger would work fine and would be a little lighter, too - and it should be long enough to cover the gas block mounting area.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't the Troy/Samson rail giving you a continous top rail- without adding more
than 12oz. (carbine)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Isn't the Troy/Samson rail giving you a continous top rail- without adding more
than 12oz. (carbine)?

im pretty sure of it
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Crap!  No mid-length Badgers!  I don't know if I really want to go 26 oz for a handguard...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top