Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:54:33 PM EDT
Look guys and girls, I have a serious problem. According to my last eye check up, I have a severe astigmatism in my right eye, it's so bad that when I cover my left eye, I can't see 1 feet away. Anyway, what would be the best optic for me? What I want to do is shoot to about 200 yards, maybe even further, but I also want the option to have a close quarter combat optic. Without mentioning an ACOG, or something in that price range what would be my best option. Keep in mind im not in any armed forces.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:03:22 AM EDT
Are your glasses/contacts not compensating? I have the same condition, but with glasses I have no trouble seeing. I probably would recommend the obvious Aimpoint or Eotech for closer ranges.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 6:44:44 PM EDT by SW-seabee]
I would go with the Aimpoint, and did, over the EoTech. The only reason being, I have the same problem as you do and with the astigmatism, the EoTech would not work for me. I got the ML3 and could not be happier. I think I paid about $350 NIB.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:57:37 PM EDT
I have astigmatism in both eyes and have found now after trial and error that neither the Aimpoint nor the EoTech work well for me. I get too much halo/star-dazzle effect, so the dots are not precise at all and glare at me a bit - They still work, but not optimal by a long stretch. I have a Eotech 552 and I will probably still keep it though as it works great with night vision.

I got to try the new Trijicon Tripower out and it is better for me. I also really liked the TR21R.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:32:56 AM EDT
Seriously consider switching shoulders and using your good eye. It may not be comfortable at first, and may require some practice, but you may be better off in the long run.

Also, make an appointment with a real eye doctor. Explain to him your needs and see what he suggests. Remember it is easier to retrain your hands and shoulders then to retrain your eyes. Which in your case may be impossible.

I taught a class last weekend where students had eye dominance issues. To the last one, those that switched to the other side shot better. I know some will argue with me, but it works.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:32 PM EDT
As an alternative to switching from shooting rightie to leftie... consider an offset scope mount. The M1 Garand had such a mount: it was offset from the centerline of the rifle by 1"- 1 1/2" or so. I am considering such a mount for my Bushy 20" flattop. I want to put a scope or Aimpoint or such on the rifle, but don't want to dismount & change the front sight. (The BUIS will consist of the stock front sight plus the detachable handle.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:49:35 PM EDT
I have bad astigmatism also but when I look at my Aimpoint the dot is stretched. The EOtech has a better image for me.
Top Top