Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:49 AM EDT
I've just run into a bad gas key on a RRA carrier.  The whole assembly is brand new but the key seems to be angled up a bit at the front and the hole is a VERY tight fit for the gas tube.  I've tried two other RRA bolt carriers in the upper and they fit fine.  Is this common?  Is fitting a new key the solution or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Pic?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]

is the tight fit due to the angle or the ID?

Seems to be mostly the ID but the angle makes it worse.  If I hold just the carrier and gas tube in my hands the tube is still difficult to insert and remove.  The angle is difficult to see, noticed it by measuring with a caliper.  From the bottom of the bolt to the top of the leading edge edge of the key the problem bolt measures 1.292" and the good bolt measures 1.269", that is a difference of 23thou which given the tight ID does not help the problem.  I can also see where the key is marking the underside of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that I've fixed it... the tube is still snug but it seems acceptable now.  I bent the gaskey down to match the measurements of my good units useing a vise.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top