Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 3:24:13 PM EDT
I have a Spartan billet upper and 2 Masdefense barrels. When I press the barrels in by hand they both fit to far into the upper (or am i crazy) . The barrel sticks in the upper almost .05". I took a round and just slid it along the feed ramps and it catches really bad to the point that I think this will be an issue when firing. Also if the barrel is to far in the receiver wouldn't this also cause a head space issue?

Also as you can see in the second pic the extended feedramps (if you want to call them that)  on the upper look like an afterthought. Should I send this upper back or is this something I can fix.

Thanks.

Pics

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody? Well i went to a friends and looked at his upper and this one is definitely funky. The upper is supposed to have extended feedramps but they are really jacked up. I will be sending it back. The crappy thing is I waited on this one to come back in stock and now I have to wait for them to come back in stock again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar issue with two high quality components. There was a slight step. I assembled it any way and it ran fine. Haven't had a malfunction in 1200 rounds. Pm me if you want pics of mine to compare. My advice is to assemble it and try it. If it doesn't run and you get FTF all the time then try and correct it. If you insist on not dealing with it send it back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a similar issue with two high quality components. There was a slight step. I assembled it any way and it ran fine. Haven't had a malfunction in 1200 rounds. Pm me if you want pics of mine to compare. My advice is to assemble it and try it. If it doesn't run and you get FTF all the time then try and correct it. If you insist on not dealing with it send it back.
View Quote

I emailed the distributor about returning it. I am going to wait and see what they say.

Does any body have any pics of the inside of a spartan billet upper that I can compare it to?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you try the barrel in a different upper?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The barrel extension doesnt look M4 and the uppers feed ramps dont look cut right
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
That is the worst combination I've seen in a long time.

The ramps on the barrel extension look huge, (maybe camera angle). But even worse is the upper receiver, which you are correct, look like an after thought.

While you could take a Dremel to the upper, I would never be satisfied with that combination. Send them back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is the worst combination I've seen in a long time.

The ramps on the barrel extension look huge, (maybe camera angle). But even worse is the upper receiver, which you are correct, look like an after thought.

While you could take a Dremel to the upper, I would never be satisfied with that combination. Send them back.
View Quote

Must be the camera angle. Barrel extensions are fine. I have 2 barrels and they both fit the upper the same. After looking at a few other AR15s it is definitely the upper. Once again barrels look no different than the other barrels with m4 ramps.

I contacted the distributor and will be sending the upper back for a new one.

I still have 2-3 weeks before ATF paperwork comes back anyway. So i guess it won't kill me to wait.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you try the barrel in a different upper?
View Quote

I have another upper (non billet) that should be in this week. I will try the barrels in that but I am pretty sure barrels are fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top