Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2006 10:18:13 PM EDT
My Depatrment had a guy drop off a box of what appears to be 5.56mm ammo.  There has got to be at least 500 rounds in the box.  The head stamp is "L C" which I believe to be Lake City.  The thing that has me confused is all of the bullets are in backward!  

Does anyone have any idea why they would be in backward.  Also I need a quicker way to dispose of this junk.  I have been using a bullet puller but it is gonna take me a long time...  Any ideas other than shooting it would be appreciated!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet3.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet2.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet4.jpg
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
pics required when you say this
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
pics required when you say this

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
jesus christ.. i dont know what to say..

fire one to see what happens
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get a collet puller for a reloading press to speed things up a bit. If you just want to get rid of it you could sell it on the EE . I know some LE agencies have burn boxes, you could ask around.

Damn, if the guy can't get the bullets in the right way, makes you wonder what kind of powder is in there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't even do that to a Department gun!  I do wonder how the bullet would fly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My guess would be.....backwards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have heard of surplus .30-'06 being purposely having the bullet pulled and re-loaded backwards so it could be used for (cheap) hunting, but never have I heard/seen it done with .223, but I would think that that is what was done here.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a well known fact that the M-16 was developed without rifling, thus causing the bullet to tumble. Hence, a .50 cal hole could result from the light 5.56 round. It stands to reason the bullets were loaded backwards in order to have maximum effect when tumbling at the target.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
im not gonna say it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
im not gonna say it.

Early LeMas Prototypes?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
im not gonna say it.

say what

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
im not gonna say it.

you sure?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a dyslexic was loading the ammo that day?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Newbie reloader?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
TAG- just to see if anyone can come up with a logical reason this happened.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's a well known fact that the M-16 was developed without rifling, thus causing the bullet to tumble. Hence, a .50 cal hole could result from the light 5.56 round. It stands to reason the bullets were loaded backwards in order to have maximum effect when tumbling at the target.

It's also a well known fact that if you see it on the internet it automatically becomes truth.

Come on, guys, April Fools Day is over...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
On some automatic loading machines you have to load the bullets into the machine from a tube of prefilled bullets that the operator has to put in place.

The tubes can be loaded either way, so the bullets may have been put in upsidedown.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#18]
wow!, I'm being naive but can't you send that back from whoever you bought this from
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#19]
One of the funniest things I ever did see--you have to pay for that? Can you say where it came from so noone here orders it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't use it, but out of curiosity, would it fire, and actually clear the bbl, or would it Kaboom? If it would KB, why would anyone risk letting that stuff out? I'm sure some yahoo would try to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are just WAD CUTTERS.  SHEESH!

I'm I the only one here who's been shooting for more than 10 years?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#22]
They'll probably fire alright assuming he didn't screw some other portion of the reloading process up. I doubt they'll feed well.

I seat the bullets backwards for my No4 Enfield in order to fireform new brass to the chamber dimensions. The bullet is going to go down the bore as long as you have powder in the case, it doesn't know which way it is pointed. Accuracy though...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So how long have you been reloading again?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Did you check the photo of the bullets he pulled?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
TAG- just to see if anyone can come up with a logical reason this happened.

okay, some hippie buys a self defence gun, but he lives in commune and is afraid the bullets might penetrate through the perp and the walls and hurt some innocent bystander. So after getting seriously wasted on some mushrooms one night he realizes that wide end would be safer for indoor shooting than the pointy end. And there you have it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I've heard of poeple loading 30cal bullets backwards to give them a better BC at subsonic velocities. Doubt you should do that with a 22cal auto loader though...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My ARs have rifling
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I would just shoot it up, load one round at a time, just because the bullet's backwards wont affect anything other than ballistics and feeding
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Some of you people need a lesson in "understanding sarcasm".  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Some of you people need a lesson in "understanding sarcasm".  

The problem, FALARAK, is that those who speak facetiously and those who are total morons tend to make very similar statements around here...  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how long have you been reloading again?

87 YEARS!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christ!  You'd think a monumentally sarcastic statement wouldn't go this far over peoples' heads.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#33]
OHMYGOD!    That is just hilarious.  What would possess someone to do something like that?  Did Stevie Wonder load those bullets?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Just for giggles I decided to load up 5 rounds just to see what It would do...

The function was fine for 4 rounds, #3 was a failure to feed. Now I was not shooting for groups, but since I have a range in my backyard, I just kinda put it in the black....

They were all over the 10" circle at about 75 yards, ( I was not really trying to aim).

I would just pull them, ditch the powder, and reload em the right way.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Are all the headstamp years the same?  I think the one in the blurry photo say LC 70.   If the original owner was in the military (or purchased some of the older XM193) maybe he just kept the ones that were loaded wrong in the box to work on later?  Although the lack of any neck sealant does raise the posibility that they were reloaded that way....

Just a thought.

Sarge
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Reach back and pull your head out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Dude!  Save them, they look like they might be a certain blended-metal technology.  Ebay for big $$$!
Could be that shuttle door gunner suicide round, or the mall-ninja assasin bullet that leaves a backwards wound channel to confuse the authori-tays.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My Depatrment had a guy drop off a box of what appears to be 5.56mm ammo.  There has got to be at least 500 rounds in the box.  The head stamp is "L C" which I believe to be Lake City.  The thing that has me confused is all of the bullets are in backward!  

Does anyone have any idea why they would be in backward.  Also I need a quicker way to dispose of this junk.  I have been using a bullet puller but it is gonna take me a long time...  Any ideas other than shooting it would be appreciated!

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet3.jpg

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet1.jpg

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet2.jpg

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/Gunner5607/Bullet4.jpg

Turn it in to Federal's metalurgy department... I'll comment then.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm old enough to have been issued a revolver at work and we used wad cutter.  It wasn't until I pulled the first bullet that I realized that the bullets were in backward.

An older gentleman brought the box of bullets to our station and said he found them in the attic of his house and that he did'nt want them.  I told my Chief that I didn't want them either!  I was over ruled and told to take the rounds to the armory.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Are all the headstamp years the same?  I think the one in the blurry photo say LC 70.   If the original owner was in the military (or purchased some of the older XM193) maybe he just kept the ones that were loaded wrong in the box to work on later?  Although the lack of any neck sealant does raise the posibility that they were reloaded that way....

Just a thought.

Sarge

Most of the head stamps are LC 73 and LC 78
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I would just shoot it up, load one round at a time, just because the bullet's backwards wont affect anything other than ballistics and feeding

Do you live in the Northeast Pa. area.  I'm sure I could dump it your way.  There is no way that I will shoot any of that in my rifle or the Department's!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Just a thought.

Sarge

Most reloaders I know don't put sealant on ammo. These are most difinitely reloads.

What probably happened here was someone loaded the ammo on a progressive press with an automatic bullet feed and these rounds were fed the bullets backwards and were culled out after QC. Or, some curious type, wanted to see what a bunch of bass-ackwards bullets would do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Most reloaders I know don't put sealant on ammo. These are most difinitely reloads.

What probably happened here was someone loaded the ammo on a progressive press with an automatic bullet feed and these rounds were fed the bullets backwards and were culled out after QC. Or, some curious type, wanted to see what a bunch of bass-ackwards bullets would do.

I dont know of any reloading machine designed for home use that has automatic bullet feeds.  Dillon has case feeds but not bullet feeds, had to be done on a commercial grade machine if this was done automatically.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reach back and pull your head out.

Did that joke hurt your brain?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, i dont know shit about reloading nor do I pretend to, so I gotta ask. Would you be able  to get a full powder charge with the bullet in backwards? It seems like with the longer part of the bullet back in the case you would be short some room for powder. Like I said though....I know nothing about reloading.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#46]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ok, i dont know shit about reloading nor do I pretend to, so I gotta ask. Would you be able  to get a full powder charge with the bullet in backwards? It seems like with the longer part of the bullet back in the case you would be short some room for powder. Like I said though....I know nothing about reloading.

You'd probably have room for the full powder charge.  You might get high pressure issues though.  Keep in mind the length of the M856 tracer.  That thing is WAY longer than a reversed M193 bullet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#48]
pre tumbled 5.56mm. wow.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christ!  You'd think a monumentally sarcastic statement wouldn't go this far over peoples' heads.

Funny thing about text -it doesnt necessarily convey the authors hidden comic genius.

ETA: That's not sarcasm by the way...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Funny thing about text -it doesnt necessarily convey the authors hidden comic genius.

ETA: That's not sarcasm by the way...

Yeah. I guess I should have used a smiley of some sort for the dimmer bulbs that come to our site.

ETA:  For anyone still confused....  Back in the 70's when wheel guns were the LE weapon of choice (As well as everyone else I suppose)  Reloaders used to put WAD Cutter bullets in the cases Backwards.  Thus the hollowed rear of the bullet was now the front of the bullet.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top