Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2003 4:41:19 AM EDT
I wonder if there would be a market for kydex covers that would snap onto the channel wings which would allow the use of a mini cylum for back up lighting?  It would totally cover the "channel" and prevent spillage of light.

I was going to make something like this for my reflex, but sold it when I got my TA-31F.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a similar idea for awhile, using cheap black "gaffers" tape (duct tape used in the movie industry for taping cables/wires to the floor or walls... removes without leaving sticky glue residue).   Only problem is I can't find anywhere that sells the little baby cyalumes except for super-bulk quantities.  

I have the tape- If you have the cyalumes you want me to send you some for an experiment?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I see them all the time in the stop and robs.  Also you might want to try Oriental Trading.  They sell crap to schools for AR (accelerated reading) gifts.  They usually have good prices.  I've ordered a sheet of kydex to work with.  I had some scrap and discovered this is doable, I just didn't have any of the cylumes handy.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Only problem is I can't find anywhere that sells the little baby cyalumes except for super-bulk quantities.
View Quote

Around here you can find them at Wal-Mart, the checkout aisle at Home Depot, and most grocery stores. You're referring to the little tiny ones that are about 2" long and 3/16" thick, right?

If you can't find any I'd be happy to pick some up and send them your way. Just let me know what color you want and where you want me to send them [:)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Check wally world in the fishing dept.  I've seen them there as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
What would the purpose of this be - indoor CQB?  

After all, the tritium alone is fine outdoors after dark, it is only indoors with a light that it appears black in most cases.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes CQB, (brighter dot, quicker sight acquisition) and I noticed the chevron on my TA31F was not as bright as I would like.  Think about using this when you are pointing into a well lit area from a dark one.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What would the purpose of this be - indoor CQB?  

After all, the tritium alone is fine outdoors after dark, it is only indoors with a light that it appears black in most cases.
View Quote

or for 12 years from now when your tritium is bured out and it is illegal to refill.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done this before with a compact AGOG. The main problem I had was that the little cyalume sticks don't last very long. I mean I've taken a stick that I bought about a year ago, "cracked" it, but it didn't glow. They worked fine when I first bought them, but after sitting around too long they don't work. It's a good idea in theory, but it didn't seem very practical.

Steve.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If such a product existed, I'd probably buy one just to try it out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
or for 12 years from now when your tritium is bured out and it is illegal to refill.
View Quote

Tritium has a 12 year half life, not a twelve year life.  In 12 years it will be half as bright as it is today.  In another 12, one quarter as bright, and so on.  This only applies to the tritium, so in daylight the fiber optic still will light up the reticle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The lack of illumination for BAC use also occurs when your in a lit up room aiming into bright sunlight outside.  The reticle glows but not bright enough to contrast with the outdoors.  I would by one if it was made.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Tritium has a 12 year half life, not a twelve year life.  In 12 years it will be half as bright as it is today.  In another 12, one quarter as bright, and so on.  This only applies to the tritium, so in daylight the fiber optic still will light up the reticle.
View Quote

Still, I have had two sets of handgun tritum sights go tits up.  A set of PT's lasted about four years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some kydex coming in, I have a bud with a vacuum machine.  I have a couple beta testers me thinks.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll guinea pig two: Compact and a TA11 size.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to build one for a compact acog, I'll test it....
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I just happened to find an old section of fiber optic cable in the garage today.  I electrical taped it from the corner of my surefire lense to the fiber optic channel on top of my TA31.  

If I didnt hate cords so much, this concept would have me thinking hard right now.  That donut was BRIGHT.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
But you have to have your SureFire on to make it work, right?  

Maybe a separate, dedicated small light- like a one-AAA minimag, that you can put silicone or something to totally black out the rest of the emitted light.   Or even a one-LED lamp like a Photon (if there's a constant-on setting).  

Ideas, ideas.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
lump, I was thinking that way as well.  It wouldn't be too much of a strectch to do a photon sized LED that would serve as well, snap it on the ACOG.  FWIW, I'm doing this for my TA31-F.  Those that have expressed an interest in beta testing must have that sight.  I don't have the wearwithall to have different models of Trijicon sights laying around.  Know what I mean?

Edited to add:  I may just mold in a spot for my photon III instead of the cylume.  The life on the photons is really good and the III has three brightness levels.  Ya baby!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont have any problems seeing the tritium illuminated portion in the dark when NOT using the light, but in close quarters, with my 962 light up, I have to slow down for a second to find the blacked out reticle.

Speed is life.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/Lumpdog.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#21]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/Lumpdog.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Thats actually funny.....you ass clown.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Update.... I just received a piece of Kydex from Knife and Gun Finishing Supplies [b](side note, call them before placing order, FREE SHIPPING does not mean free shipping to them, I found out the hard way, the kydex cost less than the shipping)[/b]

My buddy's vacuum sealer went tits up when he dropped it, go figure.  I'll start experimenting this week.  I'm going to use a photon 3 for the light source, with access to the buttons so you can turn it off or on.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top