Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
I'm new to AR's, so I hope this doesn’t sound like a stupid question. It seems like most tactical carbine AR's have a combination of a red dot type scope, with front & rear "open" sights. Here is my question…..how can you use a red dot with the steel sights in place? Doesn't the front sight get in the way?? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:59 AM EDT

You learn to ignore or look past the front site. Yes, you have a much "cleaner" site picture if you don't have an A2 FSB sticking up. If that is an issue you can always get a flip-up front.

Once you get use to using the red dot and focus on the target like you are suppose to, you probably won't notice the FSB very much.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
my primary carbine had a fixed FSB for years. You get used to it....it never bothered me or slowed me down.

I recently got an upper with a PRI flip-front on it. You do get a much nicer view through the optic but the tradeoff is the time it takes to deploy the front sight if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:55 AM EDT
I've also seen some rifles that have a red dot in front....and then a regular scope right behind it. Why would you do that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 12:39:02 PM EDT by DevL]
You shoot red dots with both eyes open. THis allows the front sight and red dot sight housing to ghost out and become see through. You could weld a steel plate on your FSB to block all your view and you still would not have a problem using the red dot. The red dot infront is to give BAC capability to a non BAC capable magnafied optic. Its a gheto rigged solution.
Top Top