Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2003 2:56:46 PM EDT
Well, I've just been notified that the stainless
lower receiver that I ordered has been discontinued, so now I'm back to square one. The
forerunners for lower receivers are currently:

Teflon coated DPMS lower
Olympic Arms lower receiver
RRA National Match upper/lower matched pair

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Also, will a DPMS DCM free float tube work with
an OlyArms SUM bull barrel? I'm mostly wondering if the bull barrel's diameter will cause any problems.

Also, how black are the above mentioned receivers?

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious, what configuration are you trying to build?  I mean, you could buy the lower somewhere, and then buy a kit to go with it.  Is there some special upper configuration you have in mind?  I don't think the bull barrel's diameter will affect the installation of the DCM handguard.  I believe DPMS's match barrels are also 0.920" under the handguards.  If you are trying to build a DCM legal match type rifle, Oly has one already assembled, with NM sights, the DCM legal ff handguards, and their 1 in 8" SUM barrel.  Check their website.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not so much that I'm looking for a really special configuration... I'm trying to spread the parts cost out over several months. I'm aiming to
spend $100-$300 per month. Here's a rough idea of what I'm looking to build:

20" black SS match grade bull barrel
railed gas block w/ removable front sight
DCM legal free float tube
flat top upper receiver
removable carry handle
aftermarket drop in trigger
high quality lower receiver
standard A2 buttstock
aftermarket pistol grip ( hogue or ergo )

Essentially, I'm looking for something that
looks like a classic AR-15, is as accurate as
possible, and that I can build myself. I'm not looking to win any benchrest competitions, I just want an accurate plinking rifle. I've wanted an AR-15 style rifle for years, and building my own seemed like the best way to get one.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi, I am doing the same thing by spreading the costs over several months.  I like this better than going with layaway from store because of the sweat equity I am putting into it.  [8D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top